Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15-AB521TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP 15-AB521TX and as usual with all laptops , it comes with single C: drive.

I used a third party partion manager to create 3 more partitions by removing the space from C drive , so now I have C,D(recovery) , E , F and G,

But somehow now , I want to reinstall windows (using the backup recovery media (flash drive)) and I wanted to know whether it will remove all the extra partition I have created and reset to a single C drive ? Since I have data on other drives , I dont want this to happen.

Thanks a lot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

bsguru

Unfortunately, the answer is YES -- as the first thing the recovery function does is reformat the entire drive to match the partition arrangement that was put there at the factory.

So, BEFORE you do that, you need to migrate off the partitions and data that you want to retain and/or restore.

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

bsguru

Unfortunately, the answer is YES -- as the first thing the recovery function does is reformat the entire drive to match the partition arrangement that was put there at the factory.

So, BEFORE you do that, you need to migrate off the partitions and data that you want to retain and/or restore.

Good Luck
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, so that clears my doubt.

But I think using reset functionality from the recovery menu withn windows (Windows 10)  , I should be able to reinstall windows without affecting any drives created.

Please comment if you have any idea on this.

Thanks a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.