Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay107ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am aiming to switch my HDD with an SSD on my HP notebook. But the  licenced Operating System  and the Recovery are embeded on the existting HDD on my machine. Is it possible to move them to an SSD and reinstall the Operating System on the SSD?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, the  licenced Operating System is NOT on the old HDD, it is on the BIOS of your machine therefore you can install SSD from fresh if you wish. Pleae note: you can olny install a swme version/edition of Windows 10.

The quick and easy ways:

1. Create USB Recovery using HP Recovery Manager then Resore back after installing SSD.

2. Clone existing HDD to SSD using cloning software then swap them.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, the  licenced Operating System is NOT on the old HDD, it is on the BIOS of your machine therefore you can install SSD from fresh if you wish. Pleae note: you can olny install a swme version/edition of Windows 10.

The quick and easy ways:

1. Create USB Recovery using HP Recovery Manager then Resore back after installing SSD.

2. Clone existing HDD to SSD using cloning software then swap them.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.