Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I click on the .exe file, it runs really fast and doesn't open the backup files. It's just a shortcut on my desktop with files that say RecoveryMgrDump and it will only open in Notepad and shows only gibberish.

I cannot figure out how to get the recovery manager to actually open working versions of the files I backed up. 😕

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello Clothinggurl

What is the full model number of the HP PC you are referring to?

You say you used the HP Recovery Manager to create a backup of your file history to (I assume) an external drive, correct?

But in your title, it says the HP Recovery Manager was since removed. Is this correct also?

You have to use the same program that created the backup. It will only place the files back to the original place they came from. 

Take a look at this info on how to use the Recovery Manager...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01673043

Also, using the recovery manager or Windows file history is not an ideal way to back up your files. One of the big reasons is what you are experiencing now.

If you have upgraded from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10, the recovery manager will no longer be available.

You would have to revert back to the previous version to gain the recovery manager again.

Provided you made your USB recovery media before the upgrade to revert back with.

Please provide me with better details as to what has happened and how I can help.

TIP: In the future, it would be wise to create a back up of data using a different method.

While automatic backups are convenient, the problem is that most of them use proprietary file systems that encrypt the files, making access to them very hard or impossible if problems occur. Plus you have no way of knowing if a backup failed until its too late.

I like the old tried and true file to file duplicate method that does not get encrypted.

Microsoft's own SyncToy does this and you can control what gets duplicated and updated using an external hard drive.

Then you can connect any computer to that external drive and use the files immediately.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.