Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Laptop 14-ax0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP notebook isn't reading any SD cards? I've tried different SD cards, so I at least believe that the SD cards aren't the issue? I've tried to download different drivers, but that also didn't work? I'm not really sure what else there is to do, and I can't tell if the issue lies within the notebook itself or wether it's a phyisical issue, although flashdrives work!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@samsonwhamson

Welcome to HP forums.

As the drive normally shows up only when the card is inserted into the slot, 

here's a list of articles you can use to resolve issues with the media card reader: 

• Go into device manager and uninstall the card reader, it should be listed as IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. 
    This will uninstall and reinstall the driver for the card reader. 

• check if the problem is caused due to card issue. If the SD card is broken, it won’t be recognized by PC. You can plug the card into another PC to see if it works. If it doesn’t work either, you can try cleaning the card. After cleaning the card, if it still doesn’t work, the card is probably broken, you may need to have your card replaced. 

• check if the card reader works. If the card reader is stuck with dust, it will lead bad contact between the card and the card reader. Try cleaning the card reader slot and see if this solves the problem. 

• check if the card reader is disabled in BIOS settings. At the first screen after a restart, look for a key to press for “BIOS” or “Settings”.  Verify that the card reader has not been disabled in the BIOS settings. 

Keep me posted. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you! Oddly enough, there was never anything in the device manager called "IDE ATA" or "ATAPI controllers"? Would I have to install it, somehow? I'll be checking out the BIOS settings while awaiting your answer! Once again, thank you for replying!

HP Recommended

@samsonwhamson

Well, that means that the card reader is not detected.

Re-start the notebook, keep tapping F10, and check in bios whether it is detected.

If it isn't then it's a hardware failure.

In this case, I'd request you to speak to the support team for further assistance. 🙂

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/ 

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Feel free to reach out if need any other assistance.

Thanks,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.