Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since May 9th (after a Windows Update...) every hour at exactly xx:18 my Spectre crashes.

I get a blue screen telling me  SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

20160511 SpectreX360 Win10crashes.jpg

Looking into the system event logs I find:

WindowsLogboeken Geb 219 Kernal-PnP VID_048D.png

Deinstalling the driver doesn't help.

Anyone experiencing the same problem ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved, as i have restored an old image with EaseUS backup.

Not very easy to do, as the Spectre BIOS has secure boot and that makes booting with a USB bootable AND a USB disk with the images on it very hard.

Lesson learned:

test my backup&restore strategy for every new device I start using!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I suggest using Windows system restore to rollback to the checkpoint created before the update to see if that resolves it. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi

This reported for W 7...

I went into services.msc and looked at Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework, it was set to manual, but under "Status" it was off. I plugged in a USB and the status changed to "Started".

I changed the startup type to "Automatic", shut down the PC, restarted, checked to see that it was still set to automatic and that it was started. Plugged in a USB and no error code, plugged in another USB and no error code. Shut down, started again, checked again and no error code.

AAND actually the problem could be with the

wudfrd.sys What is wudfrd.sys?

Microsoft Windows Driver Framework Reflector that should be located in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers directory.

So it may be corrupted.

HP Recommended

Problem solved, as i have restored an old image with EaseUS backup.

Not very easy to do, as the Spectre BIOS has secure boot and that makes booting with a USB bootable AND a USB disk with the images on it very hard.

Lesson learned:

test my backup&restore strategy for every new device I start using!

HP Recommended

@emmerx

You certainly have much more faith in  EaseUS than I do.

Was it the free or paid version of an EaseUS product?

I am surprised that you didn't try Windows System Restore, or did you?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I'm using the free 7.5 version and make weekly system backups (C drive) and daily data backups (D drive).

My Spectre works fine again.

This whole disaster (recovery) as a good exercise,

as I will swap the HP Adata SATA SSD for a Samsung SM951 PCIe NVMe next week.

I'm using that SM951 in my Dell video editing station and it is unbelieveable how fast that is.

HP Adata SSD    vs      Samsung SM951    

CDM3.0.1 Adata 256GB SATA m.2 SpectreX360 C 20151209.jpg    CDM5.1.2 Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB PCIE3.0X4 Dell9020 G 20160515.jpg

Still no clue what did cause the crashing.

Last activities were unfinished Windows updates (HP printer ..) and a new version of Evernote (6.0 ...)
Evernote will stay on 5.99 for the next week...

I've turned off Windows system restore, as I don't need it anymore.

Doesn't protect well against virus attacks, disk crashes or file corrupts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.