Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15-au123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I bought a HP Laptop 15-au123cl. After one day work, today I tried to do “System Restore w10”

The instructions I followed were: “Windows 10: Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10” and “Windows 10: System Restore Windows 10”

I choose way-2 in article 1 to boot to Advanced startup Option and then followed article 2. The steps were going smoothly except the results:

System Restore did not completed successfully. Your computer’s   system files and setting were not changed.

Details: System Restore failed while restoring the directory from the restore point.

Source: AppxStaging

Destination: % ProgramFile%\windowApps

An unspecified error occurred during System Restore (0x80070091)

You can try System Restore again and  choose a different restore point. If you continue to see this error, you can try an advanced recovery method.

I have only two restore point:

5/6/2017   2:04 : 49 pm

5/6/2017   2:04  : 18 pm

The results of the both are the same: failed.

What should I do? Do I need to do the “… advanced recovery method”? If yes, please tell me what the “advanced recovery method” is and how ?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @zpxykm

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

This problem is not related to HP and not related to the fact you have new PC.

The problem originates from the fact that this folder "windosApps" has permission issue.

The solution mentioned here should work for you >> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/93a0d2a2-d9f1-4b57-97b9-0ca30de656aa/syste...

Hope this helps.

If System Restore does not work, complete full recovery / Reset  (F11 option > Advanced options > HP Recovery /Recovery manager  or  Reset this PC)

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @zpxykm

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum.

This problem is not related to HP and not related to the fact you have new PC.

The problem originates from the fact that this folder "windosApps" has permission issue.

The solution mentioned here should work for you >> https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/93a0d2a2-d9f1-4b57-97b9-0ca30de656aa/syste...

Hope this helps.

If System Restore does not work, complete full recovery / Reset  (F11 option > Advanced options > HP Recovery /Recovery manager  or  Reset this PC)

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Hello  IT_WinSec :

Thank you for replying my question and with an important article.

After reading the article, I felt the workaround by G.L. is valued and serious.  I need to

follow it also  seriously.

The workaround is 6-step. The first 2-step  is going to "save-mode" and Command-Prompt.

The key steps are 3 to 5. They are:

Step-3: (in Command-Prompt and type):  

takeown  /f  “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"/r /d Y 

Press Enter. Wait for it to finish and go back to Command Prompt>  

step-4:  (in Command-Prompt and type):  

icacls "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps"/grant  "%USERDOMAIN%\%USERNAME%":(F) /t 

Press Enter. You will get a message:  Successfully processed xxxxx  files: Failed to process 0 files  

step-5: (in Command-Prompt and type) :

rd /s "C:\Program Files\Windows Apps"

Press Enter. It will ask you to confirm.  Yes.  This will delete  the folder.  

I am afraid that failure  of the work is still waiting for me.  Please help me to check these steps. After you checked, I will go to do the procedure and Restore the system. 

Hope to tell you good news soon!                  -- Zhao

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.