Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6 2301AX
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My factory installed HGST HDD failed short DST check, so I bought new WD5000LPCX internal HDD. I have made the recovery DVDs of windows 8 long time ago and tested it several times.

The problem I'm facing is, after I run system recovery (Inserting all 5 DVDs then recovery manager reboots), I'm getting the "No boot media found" error when legacy support is disbled. On enabling legacy support, the driver installation phase begins, but after sometime, my laptop gets stuck in reboot loop. I left it for half an hour but it just kept rebooting.

Laptop warranty is long gone. Fresh installation of Windows 7 worked fine, indicating nothing is wrong with hardware, but I want my Windows 8. Help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Solved it myself: Had to convert partitioning system from MBR to GPT.

Since this community looks inactive, I'll post as how to convert to GPT:

NOTE: You'll need to have any Windows setup DVD for this. I used Windows 7 DVD.

1. First enable legacy support from BIOS. (Press F10 to go into BIOS     settings)

2. Insert Windows setup DVD and press F9 to change boot options. Boot     from CD/DVD drive.

3. Once setup loads, select "Repair Windows" option located at bottom left     corner.

4. Find the command prompt and run these commands:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

EXIT

5. Reboot. Disable legacy support from BIOS. Now System recovery will run     without any problems.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Solved it myself: Had to convert partitioning system from MBR to GPT.

Since this community looks inactive, I'll post as how to convert to GPT:

NOTE: You'll need to have any Windows setup DVD for this. I used Windows 7 DVD.

1. First enable legacy support from BIOS. (Press F10 to go into BIOS     settings)

2. Insert Windows setup DVD and press F9 to change boot options. Boot     from CD/DVD drive.

3. Once setup loads, select "Repair Windows" option located at bottom left     corner.

4. Find the command prompt and run these commands:

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK 0

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

EXIT

5. Reboot. Disable legacy support from BIOS. Now System recovery will run     without any problems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.