Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion, dv7, 1016nr
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I got a used HP off of craigslist, because my Toshiba laptop crashed. I replaced the Hard drive with the one from the Toshiba, but now the CPU thinks it's still a Toshiba! It's trying to look for drives that don't exist, the Bit rate is mixed up, and i can't do certain things because of it!

The OS was from the Toshiba, and i'm not sure which specs are contained in the Hard drive. Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I know, but the problem is the hard drive that came with it's FULL of viruses, and i don't want to plug both of them into the same device, or even use that one at all. I'm on an allowance right now, so i can't exactly buy a new one, neither can i use both at once, or else the laptop will overheat.

I could try using Malwarebytes on that hard drive, and transfer some files from the old one, and hopefully getting Speedfan to find the fan that cools this thing.

Wow! !t helps a lot when you have something to talk to when figuring things out!

I only have 1 question now:  What functions of the Computer are stored in the Hard drive?

(also, is "service day" a selling point, or did i just get lucky? 😄 (Ugliest. Emoji. Ever.))

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello there,

It's apparent that you are trying to run the HP machine by replacing its HDD with a thirdy part HDD (Toshiba in this case).

However, the computer works best (with all its features and modules) only with the platform that its built on (which includes the operating system as well).

Please try to replace it with its geneic HDD and the OS it came with, and check if it works fine.

I'm sure there would be no problem after that.

Cheers!

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

Regards,
Vamshi
HP Recommended

I know, but the problem is the hard drive that came with it's FULL of viruses, and i don't want to plug both of them into the same device, or even use that one at all. I'm on an allowance right now, so i can't exactly buy a new one, neither can i use both at once, or else the laptop will overheat.

I could try using Malwarebytes on that hard drive, and transfer some files from the old one, and hopefully getting Speedfan to find the fan that cools this thing.

Wow! !t helps a lot when you have something to talk to when figuring things out!

I only have 1 question now:  What functions of the Computer are stored in the Hard drive?

(also, is "service day" a selling point, or did i just get lucky? 😄 (Ugliest. Emoji. Ever.))

HP Recommended

"What functions of the Computer are stored in the Hard drive?"

All the device drivers for one thing. Swap to a used HDD from a different laptop will result in major confusion for your laptop.

HP Recommended

What laptops notebooks are compatible with my ATA Toshiba MK3265GSX HD?  I have a HP G62-355DX Notebook with the above mentioned HD.  My CPU died.  Rather than buy a new CPU for an old laptop I rather buy a newer laptop/notebook and swap out that HD with mine.  I need the info on my old HD and there is nothing wrong with my old HD. Any info would help please.

HP Recommended

It would be much easier to get a 2.5" sata to usb adapter and manually transfer any files and data from the old HD to your new laptop.  Adapters are widely available.  Here is an example:

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/USB-3-SATA-adapter-cable-with-UASP~USB3S2SAT3CB

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply, but why do you feel it would be easier to transfer data from my old hard to a new one instead of just swpping out hard drives?

There is nothing wrong with my old HDD.  It is the CPU that went out.  It is an old laptop and I rather use the old HDD and remove it and put it into a newer laptop/notebook rahter than go through the hassle of transferring data from 1 HDD to another.  That is why I am trying to find out what other laptops/notebooks are outhere that my old HDD is compatible with and just swap HDD's.  I've done the data tranfer before and don't  think it would be easier unless you know something I may not. 

Thanks again

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.