Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6-6C35DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to do a clean install on my laptop. I previously did a clean install, but decided to re-do it so I can input the Windows activation key upon installation. Now I'm running into an error on the new clean install. I think I may have messed with the partitions. Here are a couple of screenshots of the steps I took and the error message. Any help would be appreciated!

img_0028 (1).jpgimg_0029 (1).jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @KeefKay,

Good Day.   Thanks stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post about not being able to install windows 7 on your computer.

I will be glad to assist you here. Superb effort and great description of the situation. Kudos to for that. 🙂

I require some information to assist you better.

• Are you trying use HP recovery media to reinstall windows on your computer?
  • Or are you trying to install from a CD or DVD?
  • The screenshots signify that you may be installing windows after formatting the computer from a Windows 7 retail disk. Please try these steps
  • Please run the disk again and partition the drive again. Reformat the computer. You will get a small unallocated space and a larger unallocated space.
  • So please format the larger disk space and make sure that it is properly partitioned.
  • Then install the Windows Operating system.

• If you’ve deleted the original recovery partitions from the machine, and the Windows 7 version is not working, then please try to get the original recovery media from HP by contacting HP phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • It may not be available as the computer is an older computer and retired now. If you are in luck you may get hold of it.

• If you think the retail Windows 7 disk is good, then follow the steps for this link  to try and reinstall windows 7 on your computer.
  • This is a third party link. Please follow instructions and do not click on any image, link, ad or anywhere else on the website. It is only for following instructions and the screenshots.

If you are performing a recovery from HP supplied or created recovery media, then please visit this link and select the most relevant option that best describes your current situation.             

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @KeefKay,

Good Day.   Thanks stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post about not being able to install windows 7 on your computer.

I will be glad to assist you here. Superb effort and great description of the situation. Kudos to for that. 🙂

I require some information to assist you better.

• Are you trying use HP recovery media to reinstall windows on your computer?
  • Or are you trying to install from a CD or DVD?
  • The screenshots signify that you may be installing windows after formatting the computer from a Windows 7 retail disk. Please try these steps
  • Please run the disk again and partition the drive again. Reformat the computer. You will get a small unallocated space and a larger unallocated space.
  • So please format the larger disk space and make sure that it is properly partitioned.
  • Then install the Windows Operating system.

• If you’ve deleted the original recovery partitions from the machine, and the Windows 7 version is not working, then please try to get the original recovery media from HP by contacting HP phone support from this link: http://hp.com/contacthp and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • It may not be available as the computer is an older computer and retired now. If you are in luck you may get hold of it.

• If you think the retail Windows 7 disk is good, then follow the steps for this link  to try and reinstall windows 7 on your computer.
  • This is a third party link. Please follow instructions and do not click on any image, link, ad or anywhere else on the website. It is only for following instructions and the screenshots.

If you are performing a recovery from HP supplied or created recovery media, then please visit this link and select the most relevant option that best describes your current situation.             

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! Thank you for your help, the issue was with the installation media. I tried getting a Windows 7 ISO from the Windows website, put it on a CD, and it worked. Appreciate it!

HP Recommended

Hi @KeefKay,

You've been awesome to work with considering your profound technical expertise and skill sets. Stupendous troubleshooting and remarkable persistence did the trick for you. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I am really happy for you that the issue has been resolved.

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂  I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 

You take care now, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @KeefKay,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.