Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Product number: G1U99UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a separate problem on a separate query with USB external hard drives. So i will just ask my optical DVD-RW, CD question here:

So far Control panel backup does not recognize any CDR or DVD-RW I have installed in my drive, with or without data on it:

Optical Drives: DVDRAM GU90N manufacturer HP

Computer sees the drive, but not the media when I look there.

Do I need a disc that specifies Optical?

Tried to update driver, but MS says I have the latest.

Can you recommend a brand of media and type of media to try for this Drive?

Notebook Windows 7 Home Premium.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi! @swamimarti, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues backing up your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

HP Backup and Recovery Manager is quick and user-friendly. To run, simply go to All Programs > HP Backup & Recovery > HP Backup and Recovery Manager.

HP Backup and Recovery Manager saves your computer's software image on Recovery Discs (CDs or DVDs). You have the flexibility to save both the original factory software image that came with your HP computer and your software image that includes your customizations and data. These Recovery Discs enable full recovery of your computer should a critical hardware failure occur. 

The CD type you have to use to backup the data is CD-R or DVD-R.

Also, Refer this article to know how to restore backed up data.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thank you! I appreciate any help. I have not made any changes. MIcrosoft did some updates and I restored to a previous date but that did not help.

I finally was able to format an external usb hard drive and backup even wrote some data to that drive. Then I got a pop-up again asking me to insert media in the optical DVD-RW CD drive and the backup stopped. I have tried multiple media. I cannot tell from on-line search if I need a special optical disc or what that disc would be. If I can find out what kind of disc to buy I will do that and try backup again, unless you can tell me how to bypass that demand for DVD media during the hard drive backup.

Optical Drives: DVDRAM GU90N manufacturer HP

HP Recommended

All Programs:

HP:

HP Photo Creations

HP Help and Support:

HP Documentation

HP Support Assistant

I also tried search for HP Backup

I have a separate icon for HP Support Assistant

Backup and Recovery says it will troubleshoot and tells me to try various media, which I have done, including DVD-R 4.7G, DVD-RW 4.7G, and CD-R.

I cannot find a way to actually start a backup from HP. I have been trying from Control panel, so would like to try HP.

HP Recommended

@swamimarti, Thanks for your response and time.

Kudos to you for trying out the steps.

I told you in my previous thread that you have to use CD-R or DVD-R to backup the data.

There is no way of bypassing the DVD message on your PC, the only way you can backup your data is through CD-R or a DVD-R.

Hope this helps have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There must be something wrong with the drive. Is there a replacement available? I purchased another brand of CD-R and DVD-R and still no go. I was able to do backups on my Windows 7 Home Professional with no problem.

HP Recommended

As you mentioned the issue persists after trying with different discs.

It could be optical drive issue, Please replace the optical drive using the part number listed below.

Optical drive (DVD+/-RW Double-Layer SuperMulti) 747125-001

You can purchase the part from HP parts store using this link

Hope this helps!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"Download software and drivers"  from HP  link appears to be broken. Is there another way to get there?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07165#AbT2

Why can't I find drivers for my CD/DVD drive?

CD/DVD drives use drivers built into the operating system. They do not require updates.

Drivers for CD/DVD drives are part of the operating system and not provided by HP. However, CD/DVD drives use firmware to control their operations and HP provides firmware updates for these drives.

To find a firmware update for a CD/DVD drive, follow the instructions in the Download software and drivers from HP section. On the Software & Driver Downloads page, expand the Firmware section.

Figure : Example of Firmware update options

HP Recommended

There is no drivers available for CD/DVD drive.

Refer the drivers page of your unit for more information.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Prior to this, Microsoft already insisted drivers are up to date and that the DVD device is working normally.

HP updates also up to date. HP prompted me to update HP support icon, which I did. After update of support icon, I clicked on updates for my pc. No updates available.

Black=not completed

Blue=completed

Red=aborted

3/7/2017: downloading driver updates:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/6529963/model/6875739http:/...

Driver-Audio (1) overwrite existing? yes

Driver-Chipset (7):

7 updates, including storage technology driver

1, updated, no mention of overwrite

2,-overwrite? No: Current version on computer-9.4.4…

Download older: 9.4.0…

3, Computer version is newer, do you want to install? no

4,-Intel Rapid Storage Technology: remove or repair: chose repair:

You have successfully repaired the following product: Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Driver-Storage (1) updated, did not ask if I wanted to overwrite existing

After required reboot, Computer still asked to install media in DVD device and persisted when I tried different media.

Try more another day.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.