Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Thanks to Josh5 and to xbalanke.

Your outline pointed me in the right direction. 

I have a HP Probook 4540s which, like your computer, has a VFS491 fingerprint scanner. 

For me installing the Lenovo and Dell drivers that are mentioned didn't work.  They wouldn't appear in the drivers list, even when I unticked "show compatible hardware". 

What worked for me in the end was:

1. Followed xbalanke's steps through to untick "show compatitible hardware".  
  2. I then selected the driver called "Validity Sensor (VFS495)".  This is still the standard Microsoft driver, but for the VFS495 scanner.
  3. I then had to install HP ProtectTools Security Manager  (for Windows 8.1).
  4. Then rebooted. 
  5. And it worked.  I now have fingerprint scanning to sign on.  What is weird is that "Windows Hello" still does NOT show in the settings sign on options.   So I use HP Client Security app (part of HP ProtectTools Security Manager) to load and manage fingerprints. 

I totally agree - it's very annoying that HP hasn't yet released updated drivers for the fingerprint scanner (VFS291) that are compatible with Windows Hello. 

This worked perfectly using both posts starting with xbalanke and then Josh5.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.