Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased an HP Spectre x360 back in November - so it is pretty new! Suddenly this weekend, I began getting the BSOD.

I've tried to reset my laptop and it won't allow me to reset. I've tried to restore to a system restore point and that still doesn't address the issue. Doing an "refresh" of Windows does not fix the issue. So I decided to ust nuke the whole thing and install a complete fresh version of Windows 10.

I have a USP drive that is bootable with the installation ISO. I am able to boot to the USB drive just fine. 

But when trying to do a clean install, my laptop will not recognize/find my internal hard drive, even though I'm able to boot to it just fine! The only drive it seess is trhe USB drive I'm using to boot from.

If I do a "diskpart" when in Install dialog,  and list disk, it only shows the USB drive.

No idea what's going on, but am literally at the end of my rope with this Spectre and Windows 10!

I've never had more issues installing an OS in my life...

If anyone has any insight/solution, it would be greatly appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Have you tried booting to the recovery media that you should have created by now?

Did you try the list disk command in DiskPart?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I actually already mentioned that in my original post:

If I do a DISKPART>> LIST DISK, the only disk that is recognized is the bootable usb flash drive. 

HP Recommended

My error.

I meant to type the words List volume.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I diod not get any recovert media when I purchased the laptop from Microsoft.

I have tried repeatedly to boot from a USB drive to reinstall Windows. The USB boots fine. But again, there are no other volumes, drives, partitions, etc. visisble to the laptop other than the USB drive I am booting from.

I have tried everything under the sun...lirerally.

I decided to screw it and tok the laptop back to the Microsoft store where I purchased it and will let them deal with it.

The technician himself was stumped. He made mention of now with the awesome Windows 10, sometimes when trying to boot to a USB drive, for some reason the drivers for the hard drive need to be loaded manually?!?!? Even though the BIOS sees the hard drive, and I can still boot to the OS on the installed hard drive...

So will post whatever resolution the MS store comes up with.

Stay tuned...

HP Recommended

You were not supposed to get recovery media with the Spectre, you were supposed to use the HP Recovery media creator to create USB recovery media. 

There was a script that asked you, onscreen, during the initial sewtup process if you were ready to do that.

If the BIOS can recognize the hard disk's presence, then it should be possible to use DiskPart  to create a GPT volume and then format it.

There does exist the possibility that the disk has failed. If it is an M.2 SSD it is not a common occurrence,

HP Recommended

There was no dialog tat asked if I wanted to create an HP recovert media usb, etc.

Again, I was just trying to boot from a USB in order to do a complete clean install of Windows 10 including a reformat of my hard disk.

The tech ran a diagnostic and found zero errors on the disk.

The point is that the Windows setup should have seen my internal hard drive. I've found SEVERAL other posts from users who have had te exact same issue wit various HP models (Spectre, Envy, etc.), so this obviously isn't an isoalatred incident, and it doesn't seem like a coincidence.

You should just be able to boot from a USB and see your internal drive(s). Pretty straight forward.

Like I said, I'm going to let the Microsoft store take care of it and I'll post is findings.

HP Recommended

Do you remember registering your notebook and filling out the forms to do it when you first turned it on?

The Microsoft store is going to tell you the very same things that I did.

HP Recommended

If you meet this kind of problem, you can boot your computer from the bootable USB drive and try to use some software to format hard drive in Windows 10.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.