Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 6570b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 Creators Update - Experiences with ProBook 6570b

After trying the early Windows 10 Creators Update (30.03. with ISO's and 05.04. as Update process) on serveral of my Notebooks with good experiences I tried it yesterday also with my HP ProBook 6570b (all installations: Windows Professional, x64).

Startposition: All Windows 10 Updates installed (Version 1607, Build 14393.969), actual backup with Acronis True Image 2017 was at hand, all other conditions same as at my notebooks updated before.

Update source: From Windows Update Site, absolutely no problems during update process, final Windows version: 1703, Build 15063.13

After the update:

First impression: same as with my other notebooks - everything seems to be in good position

But then:

The Start menu button didn't work (left mouse button); right mouse click on Start menu button worked well.

F5 changed the position of all Icons on the desktop to the left side of the screen

The "Mail" icon in the task bar was inactive, so it couldn't be removed (I use Thunderbird)

The "Windows Defender Security Center" reported that one Driver isn't ok. (not installed, not recognized). It was the HP Accelerometer. I installed the driver manually and this error message disappeared.

I checked the system integrity with sfc /scannow. No problems.

Without working START menu button I can not operate the notebook efficientely. So a system repair was needed.

In order to save time I decided to switch back to the last and very good working Windows version. With my Acronis backup this was done in some minutes and now all is well again.

In Mai or Juni I will try Windows Creators update again on my ProBook 6570b, but as a completely new installation.

Sorry for my bad English.

Best regards to Everyone!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Rosenholz52

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Unfortunately, your experience is proving typical of folks adopting new major Win10 versions.

If you were to visit the community Win10 forums, you would find similar posts from other folks -- and the "standard" response from the Win10 "fans" is that these problems will be fixed in future updates -- which is really just another way of saying that, once again, MS pushed out a major version upgrade with "bugs".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello back,

thanks, dear WaWood, for your statement.

I agree to all you wrote. My statement above was to advise against early installation of new major Windows 10 versions. And I mean only the versions which were called final version, not the test versions of the insider program of MS which were risky for productive systems anyway.

Best regards to Everyone

HP Recommended

@Rosenholz52

Well ... I have recently used the Update Assistant to Upgrade three of my Win10 PC to the new version 1703, Build 15063.12 -- and all three came off without a hitch.

Of course, I did full image backups of each PC prior to the Update -- just in case any of them failed.

But surprisingly, ALL of them did fine.

Maybe, just maybe, MS is finally getting this Upgrade thing working?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.