Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ61-420us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Presario CQ61. I believe it was released in 2009. 

Although it's very old I was wondering if this laptop will have driver support for windows 10.

There are none as of now but will there be drivers for this laptop in the future?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I am also concern since i did install win 10 on my cq61-420us. The one concern i do have is my touchpad isnt not scrolling either up and down or side to side. the synaptic drivers that are provided do not work properly

HP Recommended

Do the wifi drivers work? to me that's most important. All this laptop does is youtube and netflix and host servers like teamspeak.

I'm fine with other features not working properly so long as I get wifi.

HP Recommended

yes the wifi works just fine

HP Recommended

I am also having issues with the touchpad drivers on Windows 10. Everything works perfectly except for the touchpad scrolling doesn't work at all even when reinstalling and toggling the feature off and back on in the Synaptics touchpad properties. Is there an ETA on a fix?

"What this means is your system isn't support under Windows 10 and not much anyone can do about that."

It obviously is supported under Win 10 since there is a driver that automatically installs when uninstalled, but the available driver is broken.

HP Recommended
You didn't comprehend my single sentence correctly. I never mentioned support from HP. The chipset and hardware is still supported by the driver manufacturers. The driver pushed out by Synaptics is broken and that is what is being discussed. Try to stay relevant if you want to be helpful.
HP Recommended

I've had windows 10 on the CQ61 for a few days now and I haven't noticed any problems with the touchpad.

The only special features I use on it is the scrolling function on the side of the touchpad. I don't use double fingers or any other gestures on the touchpad.

I have also noticed that my system is sometimes unresponsive at times, specifically the taskbar and start menu. I'll hit the windows button and nothing will happen. I'll right click a program and no menu will come up. This was during the first days of the install. I kept all files but removed all programs. It has since gone through one update and I'll post again if the problem comes up again, if you don't hear from me on this matter then it has been fixed.

Aside from all this my computer is running 10 to 15 degrees celcius cooler on idle. Probably because I don't have a bunch of junk processes running anymore. Still getting upwards of 80 celcius under load. RAM usage seems to be about the same. 4gb is enough to get the job done, wont be playing any games obviously, not that the video chip can them anyway. My Windows 7 themes work in Windows 10. However I've noticed that youtube and some other video players lag crazy when not focused on the window or in fullscreen. One specific video player on an anime website lags so bad that it's unusable. This laptop could never handle 720p60fps video in windows 7 so I don't expect it to work in windows 10.

All in all, I'm liking windows 10. The settings features are, easier to navigate? Maybe just easier to find. I specially like the task manager. The one feature I liked in windows 8. I thought I would hate it, but I'm also loving the new start menu.

HP Recommended

I've also just installed Windows 10 on my Presario CQ61 and am very pleased with the result in general.  The only snag I've found so far is that, like others in this thread, i can't get the touchpad to scroll or 'select with tap'.  Left and right buttons work as expected, but I really miss the lack of 'tap to select'.  Is this something we can expect to be 'sorted'?

HP Recommended

Tap select? as in double tapping and holding to pick up an icon for example?

That works fine for me.

Also I said the scroll function worked, it does not. I can't use the side of the trackpad to scroll the page anymore.

But when holding an icon or selecting text and moving ur finger to the top or bottm of the trackpad will still move the mouse in that direction.

HP Recommended

The official support page for this model laptop states Windows 10 is supported by Windows Updates, which it is. The issue is the driver being pushed by Synaptics has a glitch that breaks the scrolling functionality. The latest official driver for Windows 7 works perfectly with scrolling and all multi-finger gestures working as they should. Since this install is an upgrade from the Home edition the process to prevent automatic driver installs is not available. The HP hardware support for this model ended quite some time ago, but that doesn't mean the unit should be in a forever broken state. Windows 8 had issues upon release on this model, but those were cleared up.

To summarize, we are discussing one of the only major issues with this model on Windows 10. The supported driver for this chipsets touchpad has a glitch that prevents full functionality. It seems like you're trying to push an unnecesary purchase of a new laptop rather than getting awareness out so that Synaptics can push a working update. Please refrain from posting unless you have some viable info for this discussion.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.