Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
G6-2302ax
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a HP laptop 4 years ago. It is a HP G6-2302ax . It's specs are:

CPU: AMD APU A4-4300M

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7420G + HD 7670M (Dual Graphics)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

HDD: 500GB

The laptop came preinstalled with Windows 8, which was upgradable to Windows 8.1. HP support centre provided the drivers for both Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. Last year, after Windows 10 was announced, I checked if my hardware would support windows 10 using the Windows 10 upgrade assistant. My laptop was marked compatible, so I upgraded it. But after upgrade, I noticed that HP drivers and solutions page marked this model of laptop 'incompatible' with Windows 10 and thus they did not provide ny driver solutions for windows 10.

Everything works fine in Windows 10 on this laptop, except the Radeon graphics driver. The laptop cannot switch to the Dedicated graphics (HD 7670M) while playing any game. I tried installing graphics drivers from AMD website, they turned out to be useless.

Please suggest me, what can I do to make the dedicated graphics work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tupai

This problem often does not get detected by the MS Win10 appraisal tool, so folks upgrade, thinking everything will be alright, when it is not.

Sorry, but without the HP drivers, there is no way to fully implement the switchable graphics your PC has in Win10.

Unless someone comes along with a recommendation for a driver from a different laptop, then your only recourse to return your PC to full functionality will be to reinstall Win8.1, and for that, you would need HP Recovery Media, as the Win10 Upgrade is known to corrupt the OEM recovery information, preventing you from successfully restoring Win8.1 using the builtin function.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Tupai

This problem often does not get detected by the MS Win10 appraisal tool, so folks upgrade, thinking everything will be alright, when it is not.

Sorry, but without the HP drivers, there is no way to fully implement the switchable graphics your PC has in Win10.

Unless someone comes along with a recommendation for a driver from a different laptop, then your only recourse to return your PC to full functionality will be to reinstall Win8.1, and for that, you would need HP Recovery Media, as the Win10 Upgrade is known to corrupt the OEM recovery information, preventing you from successfully restoring Win8.1 using the builtin function.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.