Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

4 weeks ago an automatic update from Microsoft attempted to install Windows 10 on my notebook. It has since reduced my notebook to no longer functionable. I have attempted a hard factory reset and spent over 20 hours on chats with Microsoft this weekend, which attempted various clean installs of Windows 10. Microsoft have now washed their hands of my problem and state I should contact HP. Though my notebook is 18 months old so not in warranty. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please identify your notebook if you would like to have some assistance. A complete product name or product number would be very helpful. Describing it as a pavilion 15 or HP15 is not specific enough to help us help you.

Please read the following thread.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Why-is-it-Important-to-Identify-...

"4 weeks ago an automatic update from Microsoft attempted to install Windows 10 on my notebook. It has since reduced my notebook to no longer functionable."

How about providing details and explaining exactly what you mean.

Please define what the following statement means. I have never heard that phrase before. 

"a hard factory reset"  "functionable"  is a street word meaning something that is both functional and fashionable

Did you try to execute a Reset within an operating system or did you attempt a factory image recovery from F11 or a USB recovery flash drive?  Perhaps you understand why what you said is more than a little confusing.  You made up a phrase by combining some very different processes. A hard reset is also something very different. It involves removing all current from the RTC battery to jolt a notebook back to working properly. Please don't create your own phrases to describe things. The IT landscape is already full of acronyms that describe some very definite events, procedures and processes.

What was your originally installed operating system before you let the Windows 10 upgrade take place?  You could have stopped it from happening.

Do you possess a  USB recovery flash drive  or a recovery disk set that was created with the HP Recovery Media Creation utility?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Product number is L0M26EA#ABU

I attempted a factory reset within the operating system in an attempt to remove Windows 10 from my laptop. I could not perform this as the process failed at the final stage each time.

I am a very average IT user so if my phrases are not the exact terms you are used to then I apologise. When I say the laptop is no longer functionable I mean the laptop cannot be used in any way. I cannot log in and I cannot reach a log in screen.

My wife said the pc was updating when she logged out so I am not sure how she could have prevented Windows 10 from installing. It is normal for the laptop to update after logging off. The original operating system was Windows 8.1

With regards to the clean install. This was Windows 10 which was attempted by a Microsoft technicain that was remotely logged in to an old laptop of mine to be able to download a version of Windows 10 onto a flash drive. I was then given instructions by the technician how to upload and a clean install onto my laptop.

I do not possess a recovery disk or falsh drive.

HP Recommended

No worries. We are on the same page now.

You own an HP Pavilion 15-p239sa notebook.  

It was delivered with the Windows 8.1 operating system.

During the initial setup process, there was a script that asked the person setting up the notebook if they were ready to create recovery media.

If yes was the answer given, an HP Recovery media Creation utility was invoked.

The options existed to make either USB flash drive media (infinitely preferable) or a recovery disk set (not so great, but acceptable). 

If you did not create the media and forgot to do that later, it is unfortunate.

The recovery media was to have been the copy of the operating system and all of the drivers applicable to the hardware present in your notebook that you paid for.

I am saddened to hear that you paid Microsoft to help you and that it resulted in no resolution of the issue. The technician gave you some bad information.

Unless you had been able to successfully upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1, the license for the previous operating system will not automatically be applied to Windows 10.  That was a prerequisite. Once a successful upgrade from Windows 8.1 happens, your Windows 10 license activation remains on the licensing activation servers in perpetuity, more or less. That means you can perform a clean install and once you go online your OS is automatically activated. I can attest to that as a fact,  it works with two of the laptops in my household,  not including my 2016 HP product loan Spectre 13.

If you remove the battery and then plug in the power adapter, does the power led light up? 

What happens when you plug in the USB before pressing the power button and then press the power button and immediately begin tapping the F9 key every half second?  

You should see the boot menu and the option to select the USB flash drive with Windows 10 on it.

Please let me know what happens when you do that.

You should still be able to order the factory created recovery media for your notebook from HP.  It is not so expensive and is certainly less than the cost of a Windows 10 license.

Windows 10 drivers for your notebook are available at the following URL

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-15-p200-Notebook-PC-series/7486459/model...

Contact HP to purchase recovery media via the following contact web page.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/product/HP-Pavilion-15-p200-Notebook-PC-series/7486459/model...

Choose my issue is not listed and then click on continue to contact HP.  Fill in the information and type in request purchase of recovery media.

Obtaining recovery media from HP in the US and North America

Obtaining HP recovery media in the UK

http://www.best2serve.com/page/rcd_landing?gclid=COjDnb3r7tECFYoy0wodhBMMeQ

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.