Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 2000
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)
I upgraded a friends laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10, during installation it was downloading to recovery partition and running out of room, I created a USB from the recovery partition then formatted recovery drive to see if that would solve the problem. I attempted the upgrade again, everything went fine with the upgrade until it rebooted to complete installation, then it black screened. Then I reverted to previous version of Windows but it didnt restore correctly, I used the recovery USB I created and after a troubleshooting and trying a few things I eventually got it to reset. I then tried the upgrade again after checking everything was fine, it failed to install again. Now I can't recover Windows 8, I can boot the recovery USB but when I choose to refresh or choose to reset PC it says it fails, I did not have this issue before, it refreshed and reset with no problem the first time but it isn't working now. I have not and did not change anything in the whole process, just attempted upgrade, then recovered, then attempted upgrade again, now recovery isn't working.

Any ideas?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I solved it by running the clean command on C drive then it allowed the Reset PC method to work then chose to repartition the drive. Fully restored now.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Have you checked to see if hard drive is good? Immediately after powering on start tapping Esc key. This should bring up a menu with F2 System Diagnostics as an option. Test the hard drive.

If you can't get to that menu try entering BIOS by tapping F10 key immediately after powering on. If you have Diagnostics in there you can test the hard drive.

I would also test the memory after hard drive if it passes tests.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended
I solved it by running the clean command on C drive then it allowed the Reset PC method to work then chose to repartition the drive. Fully restored now.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.