Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-j000eb notebook-pc
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hello all,

About 3 years ago I bought my HP Envy 17 laptop at Vandenborre, a legit retail chain in Belgium. It had Windows 8 pre-installed. Over the years I upgraded to Windows 8.1 and later to Windows 10. It worked like a charm, up until last week.

I had a lot of problems, so decided to go for a reset to factory settings. I went through all the correct steps in order to do this. Now I am back with Windows 8, but it is a non-activated version. I would like to be able to activate it again, but it says my product key is not valid.

I contacted Microsoft. They said my product key was blocked for whatever reason. They advised me to contact HP to get a new Windows 8 Core OEM key.

Could you guys help me out here? 🙂

Thanks a lot in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

Based on your post, there may be two ways to solve your issue...

1) Please see HP PCs - Windows 8 Product Activation... follow the instructions on activating Windows 8... if it continues to fail or you get error codes, please contact HP Support at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html to resolve this issue.

2) If you intend to upgrade to Windows 10 again, you can bypass the installation of Windows 8, 8.1, etc. Please see https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-download-official... and download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool at  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. You can then use this tool to create a DVD or USB stick of the Windows 10 installation Media. When you start the installation of Windows 10, don't enter a PID... just skip that step. Windows 10 will automatically activate based on a token of your previously activated Windows 10 install. Windows 10 specific drivers for your computer can be found at HP ENVY 17-j000eb Notebook PC - Windows 10 (64-bit).  

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it. I will try it out tomorrow.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.