Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 17.3 inch Laptop PC 17-c0000 (2W0H9AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I am just looking at a driver update, and was comparing controller drivers in windows 10 device manager to the one in the subject line.

I do not know if that one is an update to those that I have.

I have Intel RST VMD Controller 9A0B and one like it that says managed controller.

they are from july of the year of the one in the subject line, which is october.

However, the readme file says this:

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 version 20H2 (64-bit)

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
Intel 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 400 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller
Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller

I have a later version of Windows 10, and I can't find any information that says I have such controllers.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JoshuaCaleb 

Your machine is one of the following machines

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/product-specs/hp-17.3-inch-laptop-pc-17-c0000/model/2100371451

For example :  HP Laptop 17-cn0833nd

It is much much newer than an Intel 6th Generation Core Processor Family Platform I/O SATA AHCI Controller machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@JoshuaCaleb,

Please go back to device manager and double click "Intel RST VMD Controller 9A0B" then click the Driver tab in the window that opens. You should see IRST VMD driver version 18.x.x.xxxx.

Your laptop comes with an Intel Core 11th gen processor which supports only IRST VMD driver (not just IRST driver). Only version 18.0 and later IRST has VMD features added to it. IRST ver 17.9 in your subject line is simply not compatible with your device.

IRST driver is not like graphics or WiFi drivers which manufacturers often release updates for. If you don't have any IRST errors or degraded storage drive performance, you can just leave it as it is. However, if you still want a newer version, let me know (please provide your current version).

HP Recommended

I currently have 18.6.1.1016

i would like to know if there is a newer version. Thanks.

HP Recommended

The latest version of IRST VMD driver for Intel Core 11th gen processors is 19.5.2.1049 and you can download it from this link.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp146501-147000/sp146929.exe

The release note can be downloaded from here.

https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/175/col102499-ob-311486-1-ob-311486-1_sp146929_releasedoc.htm...

HP Recommended

Thanks. Do you know if there is an update that works with windows 10?

HP Recommended

I am unable to find a newer version that clearly says it supports Win10.

This Intel document indicates the latest version supports Win10. I would say sp146929 supports Win10, too (but there's no guarantee).

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (11th up to ...

If you wish to update to the latest version, I suggest you create a restore point in System Restore first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.