Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv7 1270us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Am looking for a hardware solution:

Pavilion DV7 1270 us

UPGRADED TO WIN 10  64bit from WIN 7 64bit

My current WIFI Wireless/Bluetooth card is an INTEL WIFI LINK 5100 agn. ( Original card)

This is NOT SUPPORTED in Win 10... WIFI  no longer works. There are no solutions offered in HP Web assistance or via INTEL or MICROSOFT.

I would simply like to find a compatible(upgrade) card that works in this system  with WIN 10?

The card is accessible and replaceable ( in RAM Bay... as i remember)

INTEL no longer supports this card (to and through win 10)

HP Laptops are notoriously finicky with WIFI card replacements...?

Short of adopting a usb dongal WIFI/BLUETOOTH option, I would like to effect an internal upgrade to the original card... seems simple enough?

Thank You for whatever guidance you might afford

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

You may be able to get the card to work if you fiddle with some of the advanced settings on the advanced tab for the card in the device manager.

I have 3 HP business notebooks...one has the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3965ABG card, one has the Intel Intel WiFi Link 4965AG card, one has the Intel WiFi Link 5300 wireless card.

The first two I didn't have to do anything to make them work.

The 5300...device is present in the device manager saw wireless networks but would not connect when I clicked connect.

I went into the advanced settings tab and I think I enabled WMM and the card works just fine and has so ever since.

Try tweaking one of the settings in the advanced settings tab.

I wish I remembered exactly which setting I changed that made it connect.

I was ticked off, so I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

Could not understand why two older cards worked perfectly and the newer one wouldn't.

Changing the wireless card would be extremely problematic as you are limited to just the cards listed in the service manual and half the time the ones listed in the manual cause the notebook not to boot up until the card is removed.

Also, if you can't get the Intel 5100 to work, you can forget any of the others listed working on W10.

I am very sure that changing one of those advanced settings will allow the 5100 card to work.

HP Recommended

Thank you for this info.

Unfortunately, having tried various tweaks as you suggested above, i cannot get the 5100 to work.

Certainly, this a WIN 10 issue as opposed to an HP issue . While awaiting a MICROSOFT solution (and not very enthusiastic about reverting to a wired existence again), I am resigned to the fact that I must revert back from WIN 10 to WIN 7 to regain wireless access?

AND EVEN IF THIS IS A WIN 10 issue,

AND EVEN AS HP no longer actively supports my machine....

It would certainly be helpful if HP were to at least try to address this (in support of MANY older machines in which this and like cards are installed). That the SUPPORT ASSISTANT which now pops up WIN 10 issues, neither warns of this incompatibility nor offers any solutions for the 5100 beyond WIN 7...WIN 8, makes the prospect of eventual system replacement drift swiftly away from HP as an option...

ANY Suggestions for a USB Option to replace the functions of the INTEL WIFI LINK 5100 agn?

Thank You most kindly for your swift and considerate reply

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I doubt anyone (Intel/M$) will be working on anything to get that card to work.

It will be incumbent on us to figure out a solution if one is possible.

Right on Intel's website is their chart of what wlan cards they are going to support on W10 and the 5100 is not supported for 8.1 or 10.  So that lets you know that no one is committed to fixing the bugs.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031641.htm

Did you try any of the drivers from Intel?  Something has to work.  I just don't know what the magic bullet is.

I'd try the second one on the list for 64 bit.  Even though the chart says the card isn't supported, the list of supported wlan cards show the download is valid for the 5100 and 5300.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23493/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1-

Try the W7 drivers too.  Don't give up just yet.

As for an external USB wlan adapter...I use this one.  Dual band too.

It works great, and I am using it on both of my HP desktops running W10 Pro.  I used the W7 driver disk that came with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

HP Recommended

And Thank You Again, Paul for your attentions here...

Indeed, I have tried both the WIN 8.1/64 bit driver and the WIN 7/64bit driver from the INTEL DOWNLOAD CENTER...

Just as before, the 5100 shows up in device list and manager, reports as working, yet offers no wireless access. The WIN 10 Network and Internet Settings sub-page does not show a wireless option. Simply perplexed... and as you spoke of before... frustration is leading to pushing various buttons, willy nilly... trying to effect a simple result...

The rabbit's hole on this gets deeper, darker and less inviting...

AND HONESTLY... WIN 7 worked almost flawlessly... this WIN 10 adventure has been more out of whim than necessity...

Still, I'll give this search for a solution a few more brain cells and fingertaps before i throw in the towel... Hopefully either you or I or some other lost soul can stumble upon the needle in the haystack here?

Years ago, various users came up with driver hacks to keep "older" equipment current... Unfortunately, the WIN 10 upgrade experience 'out there' has been bumpy on many fronts... My littlespecific  issue barely registers in the noise...

Thanks again...

Ill report here whatever i find...

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to try to be of help.

Yeah, I'm the same way too...did it just for the fun of it, but if you can stick with W10, it will add years of OS support (security updates, etc) over W7.

I simply don't get it.  How that one model card surrounded by other models (especially the two older cards I have)  not work?

Definitely let us know if you can work out the bugs.

Maybe revert to W7, install the latest Intel W7 wifi driver, and then upgrade to W10 if you didn't do that already, or maybe just use the wifi driver that was on your support page and then upgrade to W10.

HP Recommended

And yes, just as strangely confounded by the incompatibility as you and to why some other older hardware drivers migrated  without a hitch.

As a final toss into the wind, i just tried to uninstall the 5100 and then reinstall the WIN 7 driver in WIN 7 COMPATIBILITY MODE... No effect... Still no WIFI... Apparently (though i seldom utilize it) NO native BLUETOOTH. Focus remains on the INTEL WIFI Link 5100.

I shall try to drum up some forum discourse in the MICROSOFT Boards on this.... But like I said ( and anyone who's diligent can see) ... those boards are swamped with all kinds of WIN 10 upgrade issues....

The new OS is interesting and seems powerful, though in my few days of puttering around in it, i'm not so happy with the nearly seamless sidetracking into commercial solutions rather than internal ones... I have used 3Dchip and 3Dnet to try to locate various updated drivers and WIN 10 tries to hijack that towards another commercial (i.e. subscription ) driver finder... Other "searches " lead to various pay-for services... Plus... I am hesitant to enlist in (yet what must be another) MICROSOFT ACCOUNT to fully utilize the search bar?

I suppose that the cost of "free" software is adware and data mining... Welcome to the late new millenium!

I'm inclined to revert back, do some more homework, and try again as the year window's end nears. By then, more of the kinks and ephemera will be better sorted ?

Thanks Again Paul

HP Recommended

Hello,

had the same problem on a Dell Vostro 1720 Notebook with this Intel Wifi Link 5100 adapter.

could not get it to work.

The solution was to change the settings in "advanced" tab of the device manager.

The setting "wireless mode" had a list of 6 entries. the last one was set:   "6. 802.11a/b/g"

I changed it to "5. 802.11a/g" et voila, it works like a charm, even in windows 10.

I hope that i translated all settings correctly, as I have them in german on my Vostro.

Hope, this helps

HP Recommended

AN UPDATE - Nearly 3/4 of a year later...

Curious by your response, rw988,  as well as other hints i had seen re workarounds to the above discussed incompatabilities, I decided to attempt the Win10 upgrade to my (HP DV7 1270 us) system again.

With the previous experience in mind, I prepared by running the Tweaking.com  (free) windows fix tool, did a comprehensive backup, and had at the ready an external usb dongal/wireless adapter. I hardwired my laptop to my router and (re)began the update procedure....

So... This time, the update/upgrade occurred without incident - and rather swiftly...

AND

The (once obsolete) intel wifi link 5100 was recognizing and interacting with the network. There apparently has been some fix on the MS front that has addressed the issue. No need to install external wireless dongal, no need for ethernet cable, no need for any more head scratching on this one...

Time, seemingly, greases all squeeks...

Thank You Again to the community... as well as to the greater community that could and did link through the above discourse...

Now, somewhat late to the party, let me figure out where the accessories panel went...

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad your Intel 5100 wlan card is working now.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.