Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,

i bought my computer with win10 installed but want to replace/upgrade the HDD to SSD so will get better perfromance

can i do it with the cloning SW ? or need somehow to get the win10 iso file and run clean install?

any recomendations ?

thanks, 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to see it worked for you.

Please mark Accept as Solution to say thanks.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

AR14

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You CAN do what you want -- as I did that myself once I was convinced Win10 was running well enough to migrate it to an SSD for better performance.

I used a third-party product known as Macrium Reflect to do this.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB drive adapter
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

NOTE: If the SSD is smaller than the HDD (in terms of capacity), then you will need to shrink down the OS partition (usually the largest on the drive) such that the total of ALL partitions is no more than 95% of the size of the SSD. You can do that using the Disk Management tool.

Good Luck

Good Luck

HP Recommended

wow , thanks , just did that and able to boot from the SSD manually 

im trying to format the old HDD through Disk Managment but it let me fomrat only the main partition. The  'right click' menu for the other 3 ( recovery , health etc.) either disabled or  result with 'Help' option..  do you know how i can overcome this and format these ?

issue, in additiont to the fact they take space  ( around 20 GB) is that the BIOS still see the HDD as a valid Bootable drive and try to boot from it .. 

tnx 

HP Recommended

AR14

The Disk Management utility is very inflexible when it comes to formatting and reformatting.

A better approach is to use this third-party tool: Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

Good Luck

HP Recommended

work fantastic .. THANKS 

HP Recommended

Glad to see it worked for you.

Please mark Accept as Solution to say thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.