Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
15-n096st
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have newly installed Win 10 but it is strange that in this version of Windows O.S drivers are installed automatically but some of them do not work properly. I would like to uninstall windows own drivers and re-install proper drivers.  Dvd writer does not work proper in my laptop and I don't know who is manufacturer so that I could install drivers from its site and HP does not provide any driver for dvd writer on its site. 

My internet connection is very slow I think I have to reinstall its drives as well. Hp has drives about lan and wlan. Would somebody please explain how to uninstall windows drivers to install HP's drivers.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi! @mech-eng, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you need drivers for DVD writer for your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps. Link to update BIOS.

Most of the drivers for DVD drives are pre-built into windows, So there would be no separate drivers provided from HP.

However, you can uninstall and reinstall DVD driver try following the steps mentioned below.

Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then select Uninstall.
When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, select OK.
Restart the computer.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

Fix corrupted registry entries 

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
In the right pane, select UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
On the Edit menu, select Delete.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
In the right pane, select LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next method.
When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

Let me know if this works!

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually I want to change some other drivers as well. My internet connection is very small I think it is also because of this driver problem.  I will do what you have explained and will share it here but would you please explain how I can change drivers as to internet connection? I looked through uninstall or change a program in device manager but there is only two drivers there, Synaptic Pointing Device driver and Realtek High Definition Audio. I like the sound so I won't change audio driver but how can I find and uninstall drivers related to internet connection and speed?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

Hi! @mech-eng, Welcome to HP forums.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

There is no hardware change but I installed some progams such as mozilla firefox, autocad etc. Is this a problem for what we will try?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps. Link to update BIOS.

Most of the drivers for DVD drives are pre-built into windows, So there would be no separate drivers provided from HP.

However, you can uninstall and reinstall DVD driver try following the steps mentioned below.

Type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
In Device Manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the CD and DVD devices, and then select Uninstall.
When you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the device, select OK.
Restart the computer.
After the computer restarts, the drivers will be automatically installed.

These two option, updating bios and removal of device and restarting did not work. Now I am try the other option.

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I am stuck at this stage. I cannot see anything named UpperFilters.

regedit.png

Please explain what I should do here.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@A4Apollo wrote:

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

What do you mean by step 7 ?

@A4Apollo wrote:

I appreciate your efforts for trying out the steps

Thanks for sharing the snapshot, It looks upper and lower filter is not listed.

So you can skip this step. And perform the rest of the steps.

If the issue still persists after trying the rest of the steps it is a hardware issue with the DVD drive.

Please contact HP support for service options

Does it mean by "So you can skip this step. And perform the rest of the steps"  "On the edit menu, select Delete" ?

delete.png

Please more guidance. 

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.