Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i am trying to install a new OS, how do i  access the bios, on my HP Pavilian dv8?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to access the BIOS by tapping the F10 key as soon as you see the HP welcome screen.

Paul

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to access the BIOS by tapping the F10 key as soon as you see the HP welcome screen.

Paul

HP Recommended

yes that did it, thank you

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Here you have - complete how to enter bios inctructions

Methods to enter the CMOS or BIOS setup

Solution

Note: This information is not for individuals who cannotstartBIOS or CMOS setup due to password problem.

The large number of computer and BIOS vendors over the advancement of computers brings several different methods to start the BIOS or CMOS Setup. The following is a listing of common techniques as well as other suggestions for entering the BIOS setup.

Latest computers

Fortunately, computersthat werereleased in the last few of years will allow a person to enter the CMOS by hitting 1 of the following 5 keys in the time of boot. Normally it is 1 of the first 2.

F1

F2

DEL

ESC

F10

A person will know the right time to hit this key when they get information the same to the following example as the computer is booting. Several older computers may also showa flashing block to show when to pressF1 or F2 keys.

Hit<F2> to enter BIOS setup

Things to know: Suppose a person's computer is a new one and he/she isunsure of what key to hit when the computer is booting, it is suggested to press and hold one or more keys in the keyboard. This will result in a stuck key error, which may enable a user to enter the BIOS setup.

Older computers

Not like new computers, earlier computers (prior to 1995) had several different ways of entering the BIOS setup. The following is a listing ofcommonkey sequences that need to be hit as the computer is booting. They are:

PAGEUPKEY

CTRL + ALT + INS

CTRL + ALT + ESC

CTRL + ALT + ENTER

CTRL + ALT + S

FORACERBIOS

If the computer is not able to bootor a user wish to bring the BIOS again to bootable settings and the computer functions withACERBIOS, hit and hold the F10 key while turning on the computer. While holding the F10 key, two beeps should be heard indicating that the settings have been restored.

FORAMIBIOS

AMIBIOS could be returnedto bootable state by pressing and holding the Insert key whilethe unit is booting.

BIOS or CMOS diskettes

The 486, 386, and 286 computers may need a floppy disk for entering the BIOSsetup. These diskettes are recognized as ICU, BBU, and SCU disks. These diskettes are unique to computer manufacturers and it is advised to getthe diskettes from them. See computer manufacturers list for contact details.

Early IBM computers

Some models of early IBM computers need a press and a hold both mouse buttons as the computer is booting for the BIOS setup to show up.

Other tips

Now, if nothing of the above ideas works for CMOS setup, one must try tocreate a fixedkey error, which will usually cause the CMOS setup to appear and stay till the userpress anykey to continue. To executethis, press and hold any key and do not let go (the user may get a number of beeps while doing this).The user must keep holding the key till the computer ends booting and might be prompted with a choice to enter setup or to press a key to continue booting.

HP Recommended

Word to HP, why does every new laptop have a new key to press to get into the bios. Its so frustrating. It used to be just F2 or DEL, now it can be anything. As a support tech, its so annoying. When there is an unwritten rule, why break it?

HP Recommended

..and it wouldn't be so bad if a POST message displayed which key was required! Lots of them now boot the OS with nothing displayed beforehand.

HP Recommended

I cant acess it at all when I press F10 I shows to press it for 1 second then it goes away and shows just that hp thing and then it boots windows 8. I did reinstall the bios 2 times and still no fix PLZ HELP SOMEONE

HP Recommended

I have the same problem, I play Minecraft and have to use the Function keys alot.  I tried going to the bios using every key F1- F12 but still no success.

HP Recommended
Hot to enter in bios, i have hp 530 laptop. Thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.