Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 11-r010n
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This notebook has only 28 GB of disk space, and installed with Windows 10, only less than 10 GB free disk space is left. It cannot install Windows 10 update on Day 1, since I bought it. The error message says at least 10 GB of free disk space is required to install Windows 10 update. If I connect an external hard drive by USB port, how can I make it to serve as expanded hard disk space of the computer, so I can run Windows 10 update. Is any additional SW or system setup required?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI @davidrong,

Welcome to the HP Forum! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips. For you to have a rewarding experience, I would like to include the following link for your perusal and reference. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that you would like to upgrade to Windows 10 but when you tried, you got a message that you do not have sufficient space. You would like  to know how to use an external HDD. You could also use a memory card. If you have not yet created your recovery media, I suggest you do that step before upgrading to Windows 10. When you connect your external drive it should automatically be detected and install. It should show with a drive letter. You could either move some apps and or data to the other storage device to free up space on the c drive or change where new apps are being installed. Once you have either  an external drive, USB or memory card connected, you should be able to go into your settings and choose where to install the upgrade.

• Open the settings app
  • Click or tap on Storage along the left
  • Along the right under " Save Locations" choose the drive you want
  • Click Apply

Here is are  links that I believe will aid with upgrading to Windows 10

Windows 10 overview(from microsoft.com)

Move Windows 10 Apps to another Drive (from thewindowsclub.com)

How to install Windows 10 apps to an external drive (from windowscentral.com)

How to prepare your PC for the Windows 10 upgrade  ( from windowscentral.com)

USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 (from tenforums.com)

Any third party ads on the above pages are not endorsed by HP .

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say "thanks" for my efforts, click the "Thumbs Up" to give me a Kudos.

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.