Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP-PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi! Please help me. Recently, I had a problem accessing google and youtube. The error was connection_reset. I researched some troubleshooting steps using yahoo. I tried everything and none of them worked. I read one article that I can refresh my laptop without losing my files so I went to update and recovery under pc settings and did it. I waited for it to be done for almost three hours. When it's finally done, I noticed that some apps and programs are missing including microsoft word, Ppoint, excel.. vcl media player etc. My browsers,google chrome and mozilla are also gone. Internet explorer is what's left. Are thy permanently deleted after the refresh? If not, how do I recover them? Until now, I can't  access google and youtube.

Please help me. I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advace!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the article that said you would not lose stuff as part of a Refresh gave you false information!  The real truth of the matter is that the only apps a Refresh retains are those downloaded and installed from the Windows Store;  all other apps are erased.

Unfortunately, they are essentially gone.  While you might be able to recover individual files using data recovery apps, with applications, they have so much srpead out over different directories, including the Registry files, that it impossible to recovery those applications.

Please follow these directions to find the detailed product number of your PC: Finding Your HP Product Model Number | HP® Customer Support

Using that information, I can see if HP makes their utilities downloadable for your PC.

As for MS Office, you would have to either download it again from Microsoft, or if you got it with your PC, contact HP Customer Support to see if there is any way of getting another copy.

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1
If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

Good Luck
========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you read the following article BEFORE refreshing your PC ?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

It clearly says:

Warning

Apps you installed from websites and DVDs will be removed. Apps that came with your PC and apps you installed from the Windows Store will be reinstalled. Windows puts a list of removed apps on your desktop after refreshing your PC.

Now, you have to check the list and re-install missing apps/programs.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. I'll keep those in mind from now on.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.