Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp notbook
My laptop model 15-1033wm was working fine and then out of the blue it stopped working. I tried to reset it, by removing battery and holding down power button for 30 seconds. Plugged power cord in and it said the system needed to be rebooted. Now it asks for an administrator password or power on password. Nothing works...please help???
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I thought that would likely be the next message. Many times when the hard drive fails it will erroneously require a password when none had been previously set.

Sounds like it is time to replace the hard drive.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Entering a wrong password 3 times should give you a Halt code along with System Disabled. Post that halt code here to get a pass code. http://bios-pw.org/

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Try this code:

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

Restart the laptop and when asked for password use 72191199

HP Recommended
It now says boot device not found. Hard disk (3f0)
HP Recommended

I thought that would likely be the next message. Many times when the hard drive fails it will erroneously require a password when none had been previously set.

Sounds like it is time to replace the hard drive.

HP Recommended
Ok thank you. I have a spare one. I will try that now.
HP Recommended

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This should open a menu where F2 System Diagnostics is an option. Tap f2 to run diagnostics

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.