Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
compaq cq2000 PC B7H73EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, i recently had to do a system restore through HP Recovery, i backed up my files on disk, but the recoverymgr.exe file won't execute and comes up with an error saying its not a valid win32 application. i have a lot of pictures and videos i really want back off the disks. Can you please help as I'm desperate to get them back. Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

thank for your reply. I've (sort of) solved the issue myself. So I'll explain in case anyone else has the same issue and cant find an easier way... I did search online everywhere and couldnt find a solution so to explain from the start...

Basically the computer crashed, wouldnt log into windows and i had to initialize hp recovery, using the program, i backed up all the files i wanted to keep on 7 disks, which as far as that point i thought was successful, so carried on with the formatting and reinstallation of windows.

Took a while doing windows updates etc after but computer is now running fine....but then when i tried to reinstall backup files, which im guessing is through running the recoverymgr.exe file on the first disk...the file was corrupt so could not start the backup program.

Anyway all the files that saved on the disks are .wim files and guessed that SOMEWHERE they contained my photos, music etc, so made sub folders in documents ranging from "Disk 1 - Disk 7" and downloaded 7-Zip, then used 7-Zip to convert all .wim files on each disk and extracted them to the corresponding folders.... contains a lot of data, but then searched through all folders on all disks (whist deleting the files as i looked) and eventually found my photos and music! which were on disk 4 and 5. Time consuming but at least i got a large proportion of my stuff back 🙂

hope it helps some people out, but if there was an easier way id be intrigued to know 🙂 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

is there anyway i could possible download a new recoverymgr.exe file? 

HP Recommended

@nicelydone87

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP recovery manager isn't working due to the error - "recoverymgr.exe file not a valid win 32 application",

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you use the HP recovery media to complete the process since the recovery manager didn't work?

Have you completed the HP Backup on the hard drive or on an external drive?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you could do:

Order a recovery media online using this link: Click here (the program allows you to initiate and complete a data backup on an external source before initiating a process of reinstalling the windows (if need be).

To troubleshoot the HP recovery manager further, you may utilize this article: Click here

For further diagnosis or troubleshooting you may also try this link for details: Click here for more steps.

Keep me posted, 

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers! 

Good Luck. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thank for your reply. I've (sort of) solved the issue myself. So I'll explain in case anyone else has the same issue and cant find an easier way... I did search online everywhere and couldnt find a solution so to explain from the start...

Basically the computer crashed, wouldnt log into windows and i had to initialize hp recovery, using the program, i backed up all the files i wanted to keep on 7 disks, which as far as that point i thought was successful, so carried on with the formatting and reinstallation of windows.

Took a while doing windows updates etc after but computer is now running fine....but then when i tried to reinstall backup files, which im guessing is through running the recoverymgr.exe file on the first disk...the file was corrupt so could not start the backup program.

Anyway all the files that saved on the disks are .wim files and guessed that SOMEWHERE they contained my photos, music etc, so made sub folders in documents ranging from "Disk 1 - Disk 7" and downloaded 7-Zip, then used 7-Zip to convert all .wim files on each disk and extracted them to the corresponding folders.... contains a lot of data, but then searched through all folders on all disks (whist deleting the files as i looked) and eventually found my photos and music! which were on disk 4 and 5. Time consuming but at least i got a large proportion of my stuff back 🙂

hope it helps some people out, but if there was an easier way id be intrigued to know 🙂 

HP Recommended

@nicelydone87

Thank you for replying with this overwhelming and detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Nicely done indeed 😉

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for. 

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.