Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

i just bought a new hp pavilion dm4 laptop (model dm4-2180us, windows 7). whenever i'm typing, the insertion point jumps.  i'm very careful not to make any contact with the touchpad, and still it jumps.  it seems to happen whenever i'm typing, regardless of the program.  the only change i've made since i bought the laptop was in the device manager, i rolled back the mouse to ps2.  i did this because the touchpad kept freezing, and that was the recommended solution to that problem.  it worked, but now i'm having trouble with the insertion point.  i appreciate any help you can give.  thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please follow steps in sequence

1. Install latest BIOS from here
  2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Alps touchpad driver, restart the Notebook and install updated touchpad drivers from here
//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please follow steps in sequence

1. Install latest BIOS from here
  2. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Alps touchpad driver, restart the Notebook and install updated touchpad drivers from here
//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

thanks, kamat_hp.  this didn't solve the problem completely, but it is much much better now.

HP Recommended

I found an HP link ostensibly for resolving this problem.

It promised a path to finding new bios.

The link took me to a Welcome to Customer Support page.

There was no path to updated bios.

There was a search box in to which I typed the subject of this message.

None of the pages and pages of search results regarded bios.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.