Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 11

I just purchased a new HP laptop. When I setup the laptop it asked for an email account. I used my current email account. When I tried to login to Support Assist, it would not accept a password. When I asked to reset the password , HP sent the code to an old email account from 18 years ago when I had owned another HP product. That old email is long gone and not usable.

HP's system found that old account by using my first and last names and associated it with my new Envy laptop. Now I cannot login or create a new account using my current email account or phone number because HP keeps sending any password reset code to the old email address.

As a sidelight, I was able to find my old password for the old HP account and I can login to that account, but I cannot delete it. I think it has to be deleted so HP does not associate it with me and/or my new Envy laptop when ever I try to log on to the current email assigned to the new computer.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Cacher98,

Welcome to HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If you have an old email account set up on your HP Envy laptop and you would like to remove it from the system, you can follow these steps.

• Open your email client on your HP Envy laptop.
  • Find the account settings or options menu. This may be located under the "Tools" or "Preferences" menu.
  • Look for the option to "Remove Account" or "Delete Account". Click on this option.
  • Follow the prompts to remove the account from your email client.
  • Once the account has been removed, you may want to consider removing any saved passwords or other information related to the account from your browser or password manager.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Alden4, thank you for the reply. I am not sure you understood my problem which is probably due to my explanation.

Let me say it another way.

HP Envy purchase 2023

HP associated my new 2023 Envy laptop with an old email account which was not active since 2005 (18 yrs). I could not login into the HP system because they kept sending a password reset code for my current email account to the 18 year old dead email account. They would not accept it as their problem and charged me about $100 for a 3 month subscription to their Smart Friends tech support team who solved the dilemma by having  me use a new email account just for my new laptop after they were able to disable my current email on their system. They could not let me use my current email because they could not stop it from being associated to the 18 year old email in their system.  And they said that was my problem, not HP. They had said they archive old accounts after 5 years. I suspect they had upgraded their system and this glitch fell through the cracks. I doubt I am the only customer who has had this problem.

I am sorry to say it has been very frustrating. I have dealt with computers since I computerized my business in the early 80's and I have never found such lack of customer support on a new purchase.  Thanks again for your patience.

HP Recommended

Hi @Cacher98,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.