Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Eliebook 745
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I need to reinstall my Elitebook 745.

The disk have been formated so I don't have any recovery partition anymore.

The pc have only usb 3.0 ports and no dvd-drive.

I want to reinstall it with my USB3.0 voyager GT from corsair.

I have made it bootable and copied all installation files from a dvd to the usb-stick.

When it boots up and I try to start the installation - it doesn't find the files on the USB. (Actually the usb-stick isn't recognized at all).

I have tried to add the usb drivers into the boot-file, but that doesn't help.

How can I get this to work??

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Helge_Stenwig 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Having the exact same issue. Anything new to report on this? 

HP Recommended

I havn't heard a word from HP

:robotmad:

It seems that winpe is missing some sort of subsystem for the usb3 to work.

I don't have a solution.

HP Recommended

Apparently 8 months isn’t enough time… sad. 

HP Recommended

Bit of an old post. But this info might help someone else out in the same boat.

This is normally caused by HP Secure Boot. Go into the BIOS (F10). Into boot settings and turn secure boot off. Then turn on the UEFI with CSM option. Save settings and then you should be good to go. USB should now appear until the bootable list of devices.

HP Recommended

Helge_Stenwig  -  Did you ever find a solution to this.  I bought a Elitebook 745 G3 about a month ago and wiped/installed Windows 7with a bootable UEFI USB 3.0 drive with absolutely NO problems.

Now...here's the kicker.  I ordered a second 745 (both of these were bought from CDW...so it was a legit/reliable vendor) and attempted to wipe/install Windows with the EXACT same USB flash drive.  But for some reason I'm getting the same issue you were getting.   "Load Driver  -  A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now"

I'm totally stumped.  I've been trying to get the OS installed and here's what I've tried...with results.

• Tried moving the USB drive to a different port.  Same result.
  • Tried to turn off USB 3.0 in the BIOS....this BIOS doesn't have that distinction.  Only the ability to disable USB all together.
  • I can still boot to the shipped OS.  Flashed the BIOS with the latest from HP hoping I'd gain the ability to disable USB 3.0.....no dice.  
  • Tried booting to legacy rather than UEFI....same result
  • Created a new UEFI bootable flash drive (Win7) on a USB 2.0 stick....same result
  • Booted to the shipped OS and placed the AMD USB 3.0 drivers on the C: drive.  Then when I got the error, I browsed to the C: drive and pointed it to the folder.  It found the AMD USB 3.0 Host Controller, but when I click "Next", it yells at me saying there was an error with this driver and to get an updated one from the manufacturer.  (Not sure if I didn't copy all the files...but there wasn't much to copy.)
  • Secure Boot is off, but I cleared the Secure Boot Key (? I think that's what the BIOS calls it) and unchecked the Secure Boot CA setting.....same results
  • Reset the BIOS to factory defaults....same results

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any success resolving this.  Because I was able to perform this on an identical 745 G3 just a few weeks ago, I've got to think either A) there's a BIOS setting I'm missing or B) AMD has changed the hardware and I got two different versions of this laptop.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Phillips
HP Recommended

I recently accuired a 745 G3 ,and wanted to do a clean install ,It had a pirated version of WIN 10 and windows was not activated .ran in to issues like most of you here ,went to Microsoft download center and downloaded Win10 64Bit to a 8gb USB ,it did a lof time consuming updates and installed the OS and the machine is like new again ,OS picked up Product key from the BIOS (I think) ,all working great and OS is activeted automatically. I did not have to do anything but downloaded chipset driverfrom hp website for win 10 64bit.

I suggest if anyone still having issues to try this .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.