Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
md1000h
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

SimpleSave is an app that auto installs from an external HP hard drive. It does not show as an installed app, but does auto start, sits in the tray, and is marked as a Backup Service.

The file folders under AppData (in Win10) are not deleteable because some service is keeping it open.

There is nothing in the user documentation on how to uninstall it from Windows.  

What is the process to uninstall SimpleSave from the user computer? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

Use this program to delete the files in Appdata. Basically it will stop the handles on the files and let them be deleted.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/fileassassin/

You will also need to format the external drive to completely rid from simplesave.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

I hunted through the registry and found the most references to be relatively benign (i.e. documentation file references as MRU files), but did find one that started the service SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Services/BackupService in ImagePath where it contained "C:\Users\Don\AppData\Roaming\HP SimpleSave Application\uUACTokenSvc.exe".

There are also references under Compatibility Assistant.

I found that file and renamed it, then rebooted. I was then able to delete the folder. 

HOWEVER, this still leaves stuff floating around the registry, and in particular a reference that this is a backup service which might cause issues later on.

What can be done to clean out all those elements? For instance, can the BasicService registry element above be deleted, or are changes required inside to render this a non-conflict for the future?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.