Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I received my new computer with Windows 10 yesterday. My son logged into his xbox live account to play games on my computer and every since then when I log onto my computer it keeps showing his name and I have to put in his password.I know his password but I do not want to have to put in a password each time I login to my own computer. I have tried to go in and delete this and login as adminstrator but it will not let me.  Everytime I try to login as adminstrator I get a popup window that ask me "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your account." The only option is to hit no. It doesn't allow me to do anything. How can I regain my adminstrator rights?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Instead of deleting his account, go to the "Settings" panel while signed in using the sign-on he created.  Then using that account,  click on "Accounts" then click "Family and other people "  on the next screen.  Then "Add a family member"  Add a new adult user with your credentials and make sure this new account has admin privileges.

Then when the computer is powered up, use your account for your desires and have him use his when he is on.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I have tried going into Accounts. It does't have the "Add a family member" option on that screen.

HP Recommended

In the headers on "Operating Systems" - you indicated Microsoft Windows 10.  If that is the case, then I repeat -  go to the settings page.  You can open the settings page by left clicking the "Windows start button" - bottom, lower left corner. When the screen opens, slowly move the mouse pointer up the left side of icons.  The first is the "power" , then the next one is the "settings"  click on that icon.  That will open the "Settings page" then click on "Accounts",  in the topics on the left column, click on "Family & other people", on the next screen "Add a family member"

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It does not have that option as I mentioned. It only has:

Your info

Email and app accounts

Sign In options

Access work or school

Sync your settings

This is all it has on that screen. It doesn't say add family and friends. I do not know why but it is not there.

HP Recommended

Did you try the directions I posted on how to get to that page?

Post a screen shot of what you are seeing.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

2017-04-27.png

HP Recommended

Well, I cannot find a version that shown as the posted screenshot.  Verify Windows version

Check Windows 10 Build Version
  • Win + R. Open up the run command with the Win + R key combo.
  • Launch winver. Simply type in winver into the run command text box and hit OK. That is it. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Version 1607 (OS Build 14393.1066

I am not going to worry about it. I am too frustrat,ed so I'll just have to leave it like it is and deal with it. Thanks

HP Recommended

Do not be frustrated.  It is fairly easy to wipe out the things he has done by pressing F11 as soon as the start button is pressed.  That will return the PC as new.  Or read this on how to restore the Windows 10 system

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/how-to-fix-windows-10-problems-with-system-restore-1136400...

Then you can start over

I'm not an HP employee.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.