Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4530s, i3 first Gen
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi!

This is a 6+ years old machine running under HP's preloaded MS Windows 7. OS has been regularly upgraded via internet as advised from time to time by MS/HP; i.e., all service packs, etc installed.

Antivirus is Avast free version, latest with updated virus database as from Avast.

I use CCleaner from time to time.

Machine has become incedibaly slow! Often, it takes 3-5 minutes and more to boot up. And shuts down very slowly, too!! 😞

I was thinking that perhaps reinstalling the OS may help. (I do defrag etc after every few months; NOT a v heavy user).

I understand that I will have to backup my data etc. and I will have to reinstall all my software.

Can some one kindly help me? I am NOT a techie.

Thanks a heap!

Have a great day every day, all! 🙂

Farid Ansari

Male, 67 years, Pakistan

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If you are still running on the original HP factory install, the recovery partition will likely still work. Go to the program HP backup and recovery manager and it should give you some options to restore the computer using software on the hard drive or to make a recovery disk which you can then use to restore it. My only concern, on  laptop that age is whether we would be trying to restore onto a defective hard drive. Bad hard drive will first show up as a general slowdown in performance. Tap F10 as you power up and see if you can find a hard drive test in the BIOS and run it. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks a heap for this very quick reply.

You have a point there. Perhaps the description of the problem that I posted gives a hint to the experienced and knowledgeable folks here that the HDD may be acting up.

I wil go the F10 way when I next startup and have a lot of time on my hands. But, I thnik, I will make an updated backup of my important data.

Let's hope the HDD test shows a healthy HDD. ANd, that I have completed a backup. Then, should I manually delete all stuff on the C partition and then start reinstalling original OS (Win 7) from the Recovery partition? Or, ...?

Incidentally, I have Win 10 setup files saved up on a USB (when MS offered a free upgrade to w10). Would it be a better option to go to fresh Win 10 installation from the USB?

Sorry...for loading you with a set of questions right away.  Please take your time.

Thnx.

Farid

HP Recommended

No some of this information is actually critical. Did you ever have Windows 10 installed and activated? If so the Windows 7 recovery partition will probably not work but you can use the Windows 10 installer to just reload it onto the computer and it will just activate with no Key Code needed. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.