Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Presario CQ57
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Following numerous failed attempts by McAfee's engineers to install my new virus protection subscription, they told me there was a Windows Certificate error and that I would have to contact my laptop's manufacturers, HP/Compaq.

My HP/Compaq warranty ran out in 2016, but having Googled about this problem, I checked in the Certificate Manager section to see whether the certificate had perhaps expired as well ...... but no sign of any certificate at all, despite several years of problem-free McAfee and other installations.

My computer is obviously unprotected at the moment and this is worrying.  Has the Certificate disappeared along with the warranty?  Can I reinstate my Certificate?  Ultimately, I need my laptop to allow McAfee to install.

Or could the Certificate error be something completely different?

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @bonce1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums! I would like to help you with the windows certificate issue 🙂

Going through your post, I understand that you are having trouble installing the McAfee software. To assist you better I need to know the following details:

1. Are you getting the “Windows certificate error” while installing the McAfee? If not, please explain the scenario where you are getting the certificate error.
  2. Can you install other programs on your PC? Is the issue specific to McAfee or is it happening even when you are installing different programs? If unsure, try installing a browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and let me know the result.

Windows certificate error is normally associated with the Internet explorer to access a secure website. This is normally associated with Windows. Check the following Microsoft threads:

Link 1: http://hp.care/2lApbcl

Link 2: http://hp.care/2lAixTp

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi DVortex, thanks very much for your reply.

With regard to your question No1, it was the McAfee engineer, not me, who decided I had a certificate error.  I allowed my laptop to be remotely controlled by first one engineer (who was unsuccessful) and then a more senior McAfee engineer who was also unable to successfully install the new software.  It was coming up as a McAfee "Error 0", being unable to complete the installation.  

Once he'd gone through all the normal checks and diagnostics, he must have gone deeper into my system and started looking into other possible problems on my laptop and eventually told me I had a security certificate error.  But I don't recall a 'certificate error' actually coming up as an official visible 'error' notice at any point.

And as for your question No 2, I have just successfully downloaded and installed Opera browser.

I hope you're able to come up with a solution.

Thanks again for any further help you can give me.

Kind regards, Bonce1

HP Recommended

Hi @bonce1,

I am  @Davidsmp. It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex. As he is out of the office today I'll take over from here.

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting again. It could make a certain Sherlock Holmes turn green with envy. 🙂  Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

To clear all certificate errors and other issues, It is suggested that you backup all your data and reinstall windows to factory settings to start over on a clean slate.

Going by what your post says, there could be some issues with the operating system which has come corrupted or missing files required for key installations.

Once you have Windows 7 up and running please contact MacAfee support to reinstall the antivirus program. That should do the trick for you.

You could perform a system recovery from this link: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01867418  Please select the most appropriate option that best suits your computer. There is an associated video as well that shows you how to perform a complete system recovery to factory settings and reinstall windows 7.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.:)

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David, thanks for your detailed reply.

I followed the instructions for a system recovery - and that all seemed to work OK.  (basically it took it back to factory settings ... is that what you guys needed me to do?

After that it took about 8 hours to get all the Windows Updates reinstalled, but I eventually got to the point where I seemed to be in a position to retry installing McAfee.

BUT.... guess what.  McAfee still won't install 😞

The McAfee package I have is for 3 computers.  And it seems to have installed perfectly OK on my daughter's laptop.  So I'm not sure what the problem can be.

Any further ideas?  This is sending me mad, and obviously I am unprotected in the meantime.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @bonce1,

I read the response comprehensively. Superb troubleshooting and spectacular deductions. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

We have gone through all possible troubleshooting here. Please contact MacAfee Tech support ion this regard and inform then the computer’s operating system has been reinstalled to factory settings and all updates performed.

• One other option is to create a new Administrator User profile and install it.
  • Please download McAfee from their website onto a flash drive and try to install it.
  • Try the latest version and if that does not work, try an earlier version.
  • Lastly, try to install the software from a CD or DVD if you were given one by them.

Trust me I've done all I can to help you here. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and to share this platform. 🙂 

I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Do take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.