Another System Restore question (2873 Views)
Honor Student
hkmatata
Message 1 of 7 (2,873 Views)

Another System Restore question

[ Edited ]

Hi.  I have an HP Mini 210 and it had a problem with some hard drive sectors that needed to be replaced.  Now,  the problem was located on the main partition, and the new drive had completely copied the other partitions:  System, Recovery and HP_Tools.  I can see the Recovery partition has 14.4 Gb in data.

The only partition that is currently blank is second partition (281 Gb partition).  Now, when I try to run a System Recovery (F11) shows a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", even that when I boot with another Win7 Installer,  I can browse and see the info on System, Recovery and HP_Tools drives, but it's not letting me do the restore stored there.

I tried to boot from the "sp44645" Recovery Manager boot disk, but when it loads just show on screen an image apparently requesting a DVD or other info, instead of read what's on the Recovery partition.

I'd rather to be able to run a recovery tool and get it installed from what's already on the drive,  but where can I find the "Win7 Starter OA Latam" edition to manually install it using the license key that comes with the netbook.

Thanks in advance.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 7 (2,840 Views)

Re: Another System Restore question

Easiest solution is to order a recovery disc set from HP, they are usually less than $20

You can order HP recovery media at the link below, or call HP on the phone to order 1-800-474-6836

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en#N76

Honor Student
hkmatata
Message 3 of 7 (2,824 Views)

I know is the easiest, but not the fastest.   I know the information is stored there on the Base.Wim file of the Recovery partition.  I just need intructions of how to mount it on the main partition. 

Thanks

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 7 (2,821 Views)

[ Edited ]

HP does not have those instructions, you would need to research Microsofts site on how to apply a wim image to a partition.

Start looking at Windows AIK tools for windows 7-8, dism or imagex in particular.

Honor Student
hkmatata
Message 5 of 7 (2,806 Views)

[ Edited ]

SOLVED.   $20 and one CD shipping week earlier   :smileyhappy:.   For your Wiki and anybody browsing the forum:

You will need. Another PC with your hard drive installed there.

Any Windows 7 installation DVD.  Just be sure to be 32 or 64 bit, depending of your original HP installation.

1) ImageX

First download ImageX only.  It's correct that Windows AIK includes it but with this link there is no need to download 1.7Gb to get a 500Kb file:

http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=2525084&kbln=en-us

Extract until you get the "imagex.exe" file.  Save it for example on the root of C:\ 

2) base.wim images

Now, inside of the "Recovery" partition (let's say it's F:\ drive), there is hidden folder named "Preload" and inside it you will see the "base.wim" file.   In my HP Mini 10 this file contains 4 different images.  If you first want to know how many images does it really contains, open a CMD window and run "c:\imagex /info f:\preload\base.wim".    

It will return a text and you will see on the tree different tags like this one:  <IMAGE INDEX="4">.  Check the number of the last one and you will know how many total images your base.wim file contains.

3) Prepare partition

Now, format the partition where you want your Windows installation recovered.  You can go Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> (left tree) Disk Management -> Right click partition -> Format -> File System:NTFS -> OK

4) Create Boot sector

Not sure if this step is necessary but I did it to prevent problems.  From a Win7 installation DVD (d:\boot\bootsect.exe) or getting it from internet, run CMD as Admnistrator  (Righ-Click -> Run as Administrator),  and then run:  bootsect /nt60 g:   (if your recently formatted partition is G:smileyhappy:

5) Restore images

With the same CMD window running as Administrator, run the following commands:

c:\imagex /apply f:\preload\base.wim 1 g:\

Notes:  

- Change C:\imagex for the correct path.  

- Change F:\preload\base.wim with the correct Restore partition drive letter.  

- Change G:\ with the correct formated partition to be restored.

- Run it again as many images are on the .wim file, changing the number from 1 - 4

6)  Repair partition

After restoring all images on the drive, install the hard drive to  you HP computer, boot from any Windows 7 DVD (or USB),  choose:  Repair your computer -> Use recovery tools than can help... -> Startup Repair.

Once it's finished, remove your Win7 installation disk, and reboot your PC normally from the recently restored drive.

Good luck!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 7 (2,802 Views)

Thanks, nice tutorial, imagex is the old version of image management, it works fine, but Microsoft has moved to using DISM officially.

Bookmarked your tutorial for future reference.

Honor Student
hkmatata
Message 7 of 7 (2,782 Views)

Always good to help.    I will also check DISM for future imaging management.  I think the default imaging application that comes with Win7 doesn't handle image compression.  That would be a good feature they forgot to implement.

Thanks man.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation