Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Recently my hard drive started to fail. I purchased a new drive, installed a Windows 7 ISO onto a flash drive, installed it etc. I have an HP G60-237NR. I was reinstalling everything, and then I went to the drivers page for my laptop. I started installing stuff, by that time I was bored so I was going sort of from the bottom up if that order matters, I can give more details on that if I need to. I downloaded the BIOS update, since I thought "Okay, it listed it for my computer, I probably do need to update it since my laptop's like 6 years old". Flashed the BIOS, my computer shut down, and then didn't restart like I thought it was supposed to.I turned it on and got " 104- Unsupported wireless network device detected. System halted. Remove device and restart." I tried to look up what to do, what I found said remove the network card, downgrade bios, plug it back in and you're good. Well I unplugged my network card and the two snap on wires that attached it, did all the stuff, and restarted it. I got the same error. EDIT: I meant to say I plugged my network card back in, but still got the error. In case I had gotten the snaps on wrong, I switched the snaps and double checked the card connections, but still nothing. Everything I found said that should have worked, I'm on the same BIOS version I started with but it won't recognize my network adapter. What do I do here? Please help, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you have the wireless adapter out, do you have the error?

If not then you may end up needed to replace the wireless adapter. I wouldn't be able to explain how, but something may have cause that to fail.

You can find support replacement adapters on page 16 chapter 4 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for your notebook.

I hope this helps.

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello majobeza,

I see that after trying to update the Bios you encountered and error. I will try to help you with this.

I know you've just done this, but you'll be looking to need to format and reinstall again.
Overview of Recovering the OS or Reinstalling the Operating System.

As the Bios has been restored and the message continues. This may be able to correct the error that you're getting. If it does, verify that you can get into Windows and that it is working correctly prior to any updates.

Then I would recommend doing all Windows updates first followed by driver updates from the website. For now leave out updating the Bios. See if the issue reoccurs.

Let me know how this goes for you.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

HP Recommended

I just tried pulling the wireless card and reinstalling the OS, and I deleted the old partitions while I was at it. Unfortunately when I reinserted the wireless card and turned the computer back on, I still get error 104 and it won't boot.

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you have the wireless adapter out, do you have the error?

If not then you may end up needed to replace the wireless adapter. I wouldn't be able to explain how, but something may have cause that to fail.

You can find support replacement adapters on page 16 chapter 4 of the Maintenance and Service Guide for your notebook.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Yes, I am able to boot up without the wireless adapter.

HP Recommended

Sorry, that last post didn't make much sense at all, I only half read your answer before I responded. I was tired. 😛

Anyway, I purchased a new wireless card and it now works! Apparently it was just a coincidence, and my wireless card happened to die right as I was updating my bios. Thank you very much for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.