Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good luck getting HP to let you just have the utility. I work for an ASP and we work on the commercial line of computers & notebooks. We can use the DMI utility for commercial desktops & notebooks but not consumer line (pavillion). We can't even get HP to give us the utility for consumer line..

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Has anyone gotten this to work?  I followed the article at the link and tried using the BiosConfigUtility but the asset tracking number did not appear in teh BIOS and the ownership tag did not appear on the boot screen.

HP Recommended

I finally donw and share of my knowledge.
First of all, HP releaed two BIOS setting tool for Elitepad 900 and you need command line version.
1.Command line - sp58888
 Name:BIOS Configuration Utility or BCU
 Install Path:C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS Configuration Utility
2.GUI based - sp60426
 Name:hp bios settings
 Install Path:C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Bios Settings
 Note:This tool is preloaded, but doen not work for setting an AssetTag.

Once SP58888 is installed,  open cmd.exe with "Run as Administrator". Then type:
 cd "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS Configuration Utility"
 BiosConfigUtility.exe /getconfig:config.txt

You can open and edit config.txt as you like. My config.txt is below
--------From here-------------
English
Asset Tracking Number
 hp12345678
--------To here----------------
Then type below.
 BiosConfigUtility.exe /set:config.txt
Then you will get an relsuts with XML format.

--------From here-------------
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\BIOS Configuration Utility>BiosConfigUtility.exe /set:config.txt
<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.60.3.1" Computername="xxxxxxxxxx" Date="2013/09/22" Time="13:32:13" UTC="9" >
<SETTING changeStatus="pass" name="Asset Tracking Number" reason="" returnCode="0">
       <OLDVALUE><![CDATA[]]></OLDVALUE>
       <NEWVALUE><![CDATA[hp12345678]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING>
 Warning msg="BCU return value" real="0" translated="0" />
</BIOSCONFIG>
--------To here----------------

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

I must be missing something.  I have tried it with sp58888 and the newer sp62273 and neither one works for me.

when running BiosConfigUtility.exe /GetConfig:config.txt, the output is:

<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.60.13.1" Computername="123456" Date="2013/09/27" Time="14:00:44" UTC="-4" >
<ERROR msg="Get BIOS config failed." />
<Warning msg="BCU return value" real="16" translated="16" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

and I end up with a blank config.txt.

I manually edited the config.txt with the following contents:

English

Asset Tracking Number

When running BiosConfigUtility.exe /SetConfig:"config.txt" I get the output:

<BIOSCONFIG Version="2.60.13.1" Computername="123456" Date="2013/09/27" Time="14:01:51" UTC="-4" >
<ERROR msg="Problem reading file: config.txt " />
<Warning msg="BCU return value" real="12" translated="12" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

According to the admin Guide for BCU, error 12 is the first line in the file is not English, but it certainly is.

Our image process is partially driven off of the asset tag stored in the BIOS, so I would like to get this figured out.

HP Recommended

So we all now know its as simple as holding the "volume down" button whil pressing the power on button ??

and we all can complain how the volume buttons  are covered and non accessable when inserted in a Porductivity Jacket ...sheesh

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.