Downgrading From Windows 8 to Windows 7 (529 Views)
Top Student
Longshot83
Message 1 of 9 (529 Views)

Downgrading From Windows 8 to Windows 7

I recently purchased the Pavilion 17-e017dx Notebook with the hopes of downgrading to Windows 7. However, there are three replacement drivers that I have been unable to locate.

Device Manager says that I am missing

SM Bus Controller

Universal Serial Bus USB Controller

Unknown Device

Driver Genius says that I need

Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers (6.0.1.6662)

AMD Chipset Drivers (SM Bus Contollers) & (Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller)

Any help would be appreciated.

Master's Graduate
Wally_R
Message 2 of 9 (514 Views)

Re: Downgrading From Windows 8 to Windows 7

Hi Longshot83,

Try following this document first, it shows how to install the HP Support Assistant to get automatic driver updates. 

If that doesn't work fully, scroll further down that page,  it has all the links to the manufacturer sites (such as AMD) and there you'll be able to find the last individual drivers that didn't install automatically.

Finally, here is a link to AMD drivers that should hopefully update your chipset if the above two methods don't find all the needed drivers: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the left, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
Top Student
Longshot83
Message 3 of 9 (477 Views)

Thanks Wally.  I was able to get one more driver. Now I am just two drivers away from finishing. None of the ones I've tried have stuck. The AMD Chipset is still my problem. It says that I need version 12.6, but I have no luck. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Master's Graduate
Wally_R
Message 4 of 9 (470 Views)

The only items I found were one document and one driver link, give them a try.  After that, I'm out of ideas and scratching my head too....

Driver for SM Bus Controller in Windows

Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller Drivers Download

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the left, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
Top Student
Longshot83
Message 5 of 9 (415 Views)

Okay. Driver SP61462 resolved my usb port issues. Now I just need to figure out what the HDMI graphic driver is and I may just be done with this bad boy.

Master's Graduate
Wally_R
Message 6 of 9 (402 Views)

Your spec sheet says it's AMD Radeon HD 8550G - you can give AMD's auto-detect driver tool a try, and see if it will update it for you.

Top Student
Longshot83
Message 7 of 9 (395 Views)

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I have already tried it several times. I just get the same message, "We are unable to find your product or OS". Graphics Hardware 0x1002 - 0x990D PCIE

Top Student
Longshot83
Message 8 of 9 (368 Views)

Hooray. Everything works! BUT..... the wireless keeps disconnecting. I assume that it is because I have installed so many drivers that I have some conflicts. All right community, I'm almost there. Any help community?

Master's Graduate
Wally_R
Message 9 of 9 (362 Views)

Hey longshot83,

Good stuff about your PC :smileyhappy:  Here's a few more goodies to try on your connection, give them a go:

Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection

Improving System Performance without Adding Memory

Fix Internet Explorer issues to make IE fast, safe and stable

Hang in there, and keep at it!

Wally

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation