HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
08-04-2013 09:18 AM
I have an EliteBook 8540p which came with Windows 7, but I've upgraded to Windows 8 now (64 bit). Unfortunately on the driver page there are no Windows 8 drivers available. Can I use Windows 7 drivers? Or which other drivers should I use?
I'm specifically looking for the SD card reader drivers, but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm missing more. The Windows 8 Device Manager lists two Base System Devices and an Unknown Device as Other Devices without drivers. Does anyone know which devices these are?
08-04-2013 09:29 AM
If you need drivers, please follow these steps:
1. In the search option of Charms Bar type devmgmt.msc. Select the resulted file in the left pane. This opens Device Manager.
2. Unknown devices would be listed as such and marked out with a yellow question mark.
3. Select the unknown device or other device for which you need drivers and right click to access Properties.
4. In the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id or Hardware ID from the drop down.
5. An alphanumeric string like this PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7130&SUBSYS_012F1025&REV_01\4&6B1
6. Please provide this number so that we can suggest the appropriate driver.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
08-04-2013 09:38 AM
You should be able to use the W7 drivers for your model, except if you use the fingerprint sensor and protect tools software to log on.
You can try the W8 validity fingerprint sensor and protect tools software from the HP 8570p.
The base system device is the card reader.
The W7 driver should work. It worked for my 6930p which has the same card reader as yours.
As Vidya posted above, you will need to provide the hardware ID for the unknown device.
It is either the Validity fingerprint sensor or the HP 3D DriveGuard driver that is missing.
08-04-2013 09:53 AM
Hi Paul and Vidya,
Thanks for the quick replies. Awesome.
Searching for the hardware ID of the unknown device results in not one but three alpahnumeric strings:
There are two base systems devices (one of which must be the SD card reader then, I don't know what the other one is?), with the following hardware IDs:
Base system device 1
Base system device 2
Can you point me to the correct drivers or can I find these somewhere myself?
08-04-2013 10:03 AM - edited 08-04-2013 10:04 AM
You're very welcome.
The 7 card reader driver will install both 1180 devices.
The unknown device is the 3D driveguard.
Use this W8 driver: