Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Yes but now can't get back into the control panel to undo it
HP Recommended

I'm afraid to say that IMHO if you've partitioned the H/D, there is no way back. UNLESS you follow the post from DarkinVader from May 2011 who wrote:

After trying everything you wrote and of course neither worked for me  The 1 click restoration became a real nightmare but after one day of trying I succeeded 

In my final desperation luckily I found a workaround 

His solution:

- make a rescue disc with Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition  

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free -

actually I made it with a pendrive

- boot the laptop with this "disc"

- there is an option (the fourth in my version) to search for possible operating systems on the laptop

- this found my installed Win7 on my drive C and the Vista recovery partition on drive D

- select the vista recovery partition to boot and halelujah :smileyhappy:

OR you Contact HP to order a Recovery Disk set.

People have been having this problem since 2008 when an HP person posted:

Recovery Media is available on the Software/Drivers page for your model.Usually around $16:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=2100&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3689...

also see

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143 

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hey DARKinVADER, your solution really works! Thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Thank you Paragon Backup & Recovery (Advanced) Free Edition  worked out for me very well. I have my Machine on again and restoring it to factory conditions,

Thanks again

HP Recommended

@uslokar wrote:

Thank you very much for getting back to me so fast.

I have to apologize as I did not explain my problem in the right way. Technically I am able to boot the partition, but the problem occurs when the partition needs to boot into WinRE or WinPE I guess so that the recovery can start. The loading process gets stuck immediately at the beginning even before anything "Windows related stuff" starts loading. So about five seconds after I turn on the computer and boot into the recovery partition, or pressing F11 the error that I'm describing shows up.

Update:

I managed to fix my problem. After setting the recovery partition to active, and booting from the installation USB with windows 7, I managed to fix the mbr that was corrupted and the partition didn't know what to boot. So after fixing it, i had no problem running the recovery.

Thank you!

@uslokar wrote:

I have to apologize as I did not explain my problem in the right way. Technically I am able to boot the partition, but the problem occurs when the partition needs to boot into WinRE or WinPE I guess so that the recovery can start. The loading process gets stuck immediately at the beginning even before anything "Windows related stuff" starts loading. So about five seconds after I turn on the computer and boot into the recovery partition, or pressing F11 the error that I'm describing shows up.

Update:

I managed to fix my problem. After setting the recovery partition to active, and booting from the installation USB with windows 7, I managed to fix the mbr that was corrupted and the partition didn't know what to boot. So after fixing it, i had no problem running the recovery.

Thank you!

@uslokar wrote:

Update:

Thank you!

HP Recommended
It won't let me go back into my computer it says missing boot manager
HP Recommended
Bootmgr is missing can you please help ASAP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.