Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having problems with a HP Pavilion dv6835ca notebook running Windows Vista Home Premium v. 6.0.6002 SP2 (32-bit) that occasionally freezes when the system goes into idle (no "blue screen of death" but the system won't respond when I move the mouse or try ctrl-alt-del).  I suspect that the problem is related to a French (fr-FR) language pack that was incorrectly installed on my system at the factory and I'm hoping that someone out there has a solution.

I purchased this notebook in Canada in August of 2008 and it appears that the problem originated during a factory setup to customize my HP notebook for regional settings.  I'm just guessing here, but it looks like someone incorrectly tried to install the full French (fr-FR) MUI Language Package instead of installing a simple LIP (Language Interface Package) to allow me to switch to a Canadian-French keyboard layout and view web browser menus and toolbars in French.  Unlike some other versions of Vista, Vista Home Premium can only have a single MUI language package installed at one time and now I'm having all sorts of problems.  Here are some of the symptoms:

A.  LPRemove.exe Causes LanguagePackSetup Error (EventID 1003)

When I run the Windows Event Viewer I find several errors with an Event ID of 1003 related to the Windows Language Pack.  Here is the pertinent information:

Source:              LanguagePackSetup
Event ID:            1003
Task Category: Language Pack Setup CbsClient functionality
Description:      CBS error 0x800f0825 reported while operating on UI Language Pack for fr-FR

This error always occurs about 15 minutes after boot-up at the same time that the LPRemove task is triggered to run in Windows Task Scheduler (Task Scheduler Library | Microsoft | Windows | MUI | LPRemove).  According to the Microsoft Technet, error code 0x800f0825 means that "You are trying to uninstall a package that was installed on the computer and is now permanent. Therefore, this package cannot be uninstalled."  This makes me suspect that LPRemove.exe is trying to remove the French MUI language pack and fails every time it runs.

B.  LanguagePackSetup Error Generates Logs in C:\Windows\Temp

I also found hundreds of lpksetup log files in my C:\Windows\Temp folder (at least two created per day) that detects entries in the registry for both the en-US and fr-FR languages, and then shows an error at the bottom stating "ERROR: Failed to InitiateChanges with hr = 800f0825" just after fr-FR starts to initialize.  Every single lpksetup log has almost identical wording  (including the "PERF: User cancelled current action!" message at the bottom).  Here's some sample text from a typical log:

19:52:13:655 : DEBUG: _wsetlocale returns: English_Canada.1252
19:52:13:780 : DEBUG: Cleaning working path in a new thread
19:52:13:905 : DEBUG: Failed to remove directory C:\Windows\TEMP\lpksetup with error 3
19:53:10:923 : License "Kernel-MUI-Number-Allowed" queried, value: "1"
19:53:11:048 : DEBUG: Attempting to enumerate HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MUI\UILanguages
19:53:11:173 : PERF: Enumerating installed languages - ENTER
19:53:11:391 : LanguagePack en-US created.
19:53:11:453 :     type:     MUI
19:53:11:578 :     identity: Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.6000.16386
19:53:11:703 :     keyword:  (null)
19:53:11:859 :     cab file: (null)
19:53:11:984 : LanguagePack fr-FR created.
19:53:12:109 :     type:     MUI
19:53:12:233 :     identity: Microsoft-Windows-Client-LanguagePack-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~fr-FR~6.0.6000.16386
19:53:12:358 :     keyword:  (null)
19:53:12:483 :     cab file: (null)
19:53:12:608 : DEBUG: Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package is not a language type package

// etc., and then at the bottom

19:53:27:074 : PERF: Enumerating installed languages - LEAVE
19:53:27:199 : Main execution thread will wait for completion of CBS install/remove operation...
19:53:27:324 : PERF: RestorePointStart - ENTER
19:54:00:442 : PERF: RestorePointStart - LEAVE
19:54:02:985 : PERF: fr-FR initialization - ENTER
19:54:05:575 : ERROR: Failed to InitiateChanges with hr = 800f0825
19:54:08:726 : PERF: Calling NotifyUILanguageChange - ENTER
19:54:13:827 : PERF: Calling NotifyUILanguageChange - LEAVE
19:54:19:334 : PERF: RestorePointEnd - ENTER
19:54:22:844 : PERF: RestorePointEnd - LEAVE
19:54:23:312 : PERF: User canceled current action!
19:54:23:936 : Main execution thread wait done!
19:54:24:232 : PERF: RestorePointEnd - ENTER
19:54:24:544 : PERF: RestorePointEnd - LEAVE
19:54:24:778 : DEBUG: Cleaning working path in a new process

I also noted that there are two folders in my C:\Windows directory named en-US (created 2/11/2006) and fr-FR (created 25/02/2008) but not for any other languages.  I checked the installed updates in Windows Update and 25/02/2008 is also the date that a Hotfix for Microsoft Window (KB947880) was applied.  The description of this hotfix on the MS Support site is "After you install Windows Vista Service Pack 1, the regional settings that users make during the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) process may be overwritten by the defaults settings in the Oobe.xml file."

I ran the Language Pack Installer Wizard (Lpsetup.exe) and when I click "Remove languages" it only lists "English" (type MUI) as an installed language.  When I check the factory-set languages in my Regional Settings (Start | Control Panel | Regional and Language Options) the current language on both my Formats and Administrative tabs is English (Canada) and the default input language is English (Canada)-US on the Keyboards and Languages tab (although I have the option of changing my input language or keyboard from US to Canadian French or Canadian Multilingual Standard).

C. The System Continually Creates Restore Points and Windows Update Keeps Trying to Download French Updates

A restore point is created on my system at boot-up as lpksetup.exe tries to fininsh installing the fr-FR MUI and boot-up is extremely slow (about 4 minutes).  A second restore point is created 15 min after boot-up as lpremove.exe tries to remove the corrupt fr-FR language pack, which can max out my CPU and cause my system to freeze if another background task is running during system idle (e.g., a background scan by Norton Internet Security).

I can stop my system from constantly creating restore points if I disable the LPRemove task in Windows Task Scheduler, but I still have all sorts of problems with software constantly trying to install French language support during updates.  I'm also beginning to suspect that problems I have with high CPU usage whenever I connect to the Internet via WiFi are due to processes such as Wmiprvse.exe and smss.exe that continually loop in the background as they try to inventory my system configuration.

D.  A Possible Solution - A Registry Edit

I found a post in another user forum that suggested a manual registry edit to get rid of unwanted language packages in Windows Ultimate x64 at (see "Unable to Uninstall Language Pack" found here), namely:

1.  Create a restore point
2.  Run regedit.exe
3.  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ MUI\UILanguages
4.  Delete the folder for the language you do not need (in my case, fr-FR)
5.  Repeat for ControlSet001, ControlSet002, etc. found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM (e.g., HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\MUI\UILanguages)
6.  Re-boot system

The question is, will this registry change solve a similar problem in my Vista Home Premium or will I just mess up the regional language settings for my keyboard, etc., and create a bigger mess?  Hacking the registry would be a last resort for me but I've almost reached that point.  There's no point using the HP Recovery Manager to return my system to its original configuration because the problem originated at the factory.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
If you are still having trouble removing the language packs, try disabling UAC, disable system restore, stop the windows update service, delete the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, reboot, and then do this:
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archive/2008/09/29/how-to-overcome-error-0x80070490-when-installing-updates-in-windows-vista-server-2008.aspx

Then run lpksetup and remove each language pack one at a time. It worked for me!
HP Recommended

LtWaldo:

Can you let me know which Windows OS you have on your PC?. From what I understand, multiple Multilingual User Interface (MUI) language packs can only be installed on Windows Vista Ultimate and Windows Vista Enterprise operating systems. My OS is Windows Home Premium 32-bit and the license only allows the installation of one language pack, so I don't know why HP tried to install both the en-US and fr-FR MUIs on my machine unless it has something to do with regional settings for HP notebooks sold in Canada.

I checked out Andreas Klein's blog as you suggested and I'm not sure that the solution for fixing error code 0x80070490 is directly applicable to my situation (error code 0x800f0825). I checked my CBS log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\cbs.log and I can't see any specific Windows update (e.g., similar to KB905866 in the sample log shown on the blog) with the string "error" or "failure" that would help me to determine which update I should be trying to uninstall/re-install to fix my problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.