Question

Honor Student
kerrykayv
Message 1 of 24 (28,393 Views)

HELP!! I can't watch dvds on my laptop anymore??

I always was able to insert a dvd and it would automatically pop up to play. Now for some reason...it doesn't do that. And when I try to pick a media source to play it..it says no disk found even though one is in there.  Please help....this is wonderful for my toddler to view movies on since we don't have a home dvd player.Thank you

PS...I wonder if something was deleted at one time

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 24 (28,386 Views)

Re: HELP!! I can't watch dvds on my laptop anymore??

Please refer the following two document to troubleshoot the issue. If the issue persists, it might be a hardware issue.

Troubleshooting CD or DVD Drive Detection Problems

Troubleshooting Playback Problems with CDs and DVDs

If the issue persists, it might be a hardware issue.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Tutor
point05
Message 3 of 24 (28,377 Views)

[ Edited ]

First of all you should check if the drive is working and that it's a driver/hardware based problem and not a problem with your media player program. So download another media player program, I recommend Zoom Player, VLC Player or Media Player Classic. If you have DVD-R or CD-R disk see if you can read them? Also try another DVD incase there's a problem with the disc (scratch etc)

If this doesn't work, then download the latest drivers for DVD drive, and possibly even remove the whole drive and re-install it with new drivers (if simple driver update doesn't do it).

If that doesn't work, then it's probably a hardware problem.

Honor Student
kerrykayv
Message 4 of 24 (28,372 Views)

Re: HELP!! I can't watch dvds on my laptop anymore?

I think it is a driver problem.

After going to the START button then typing devices in the SEARCH box it pulled up the device mgr. for me.  I was checking to see my dvd/cd driver but it was not listed at all under device mgr. I thought for sure it would stick out like a sore thumb saying DVD/CD but nothing was there.  Maybe it was deleted some how. 

Anyways.....could someone please guide me to installing new DVD/CD drivers.  or uninstalling what I have and installing new? Thank you!

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 24 (28,360 Views)

Re: HELP!! I can't watch dvds on my laptop anymore?

The CD/DVD drive can still show up in Device Manager even if it is non-functional due to hardware failure. Drives wear out, especially when used a lot. I go through DVD-burners about every 2 yrs on my desktip computer.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
kawsi
Message 6 of 24 (18,511 Views)

I always was able to insert a dvd and it would automatically pop up to play. Now for some reason...it doesn't do that. And when I try to pick a media source to play it..it says no disk found even though one is in there. Please help....this is wonderful for my toddler to view movies on since we don't have a home dvd player.Thank you PS...I wonder if something was deleted at one time
Distinguished Professor
anthony82
Message 7 of 24 (18,501 Views)

Hello kawsi,

You’re not able to watch videos from DVDs.

You can clear the upper and lower registry values. (Filters)

Occasionally as you play Cd's information is stored in files that can cause the drive to stop working correctly.

Here is a link that will walk you through the steps to clear the filters.

Only remove the items that the steps show.

Let me know how everything goes

Have a good day.

Top Student
no1udknow
Message 8 of 24 (17,977 Views)

I am having the same problem. Except I am not sure if it ever played dvd's since I have had it. I have a hp pavillion tx2510us with a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T30L ATA dvd drive. every time I try to access a dvd, the computer crashes to blue screen and tells me that the driver got stuck in a loop and begins a data dump. I have tried the registry key fix, unfortunately when I enter the registry key listed, there is no upper and lower values to delete.

I would like to mention that the drive plays data cd's and writes data cd's/dvds perfectly, it is only when i attempt to watch a video dvd that it crashes.

I hope someone can help.

Professor
npw05001
Message 9 of 24 (17,971 Views)

Hello no1udknow,

I see that you are having problems with blue screens when you try to play DVDs on your HP computer. I have a couple of suggestions that may help with this issue.

I would suggest starting with a clean boot of the system. Here is a link that shows how to do a clean boot.

Are you able to play videos from the internet in full screen mode?

Do you get blue screens from the computer any other time?

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

Top Student
no1udknow
Message 10 of 24 (17,964 Views)

I am able to watch full screen videos on the net including youtube, netflix etc. I can also play video games in opengl and direct x. i will try the fresh boot option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation