Question

Tutor
Kewlguru
Message 1 of 4 (6,061 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP dv6500 - Replace Harddisk?

I've HP dv6500 for more than 2 years now and I'm out of warranty period.

- VISTA Home basic

Recently ny computer started freezing after every 15/20 mins and it was not usable, I had to always restart it to get out of it...

I ran the BIOS HDD Diagnose - it said "Replace Harddisk"

I called HP support - but they were unwilling to help with the hardware issues without any warrent which costs ~$350+

Hence I thought of replacing the HDD with a new one.

Old SATA HDD: WD160GB

New SATA HDD:  Seagate 250GB

After replacing the HDD, I tried to recover the system using original HP Recovery Disks. It runs thru the recovery process - restarts the computer several times - eventually throws an error:

"Windows failed to start. Recent hardware or software change might be the cause."

file:/windows/system32/boot/winload.exe status:0xc000000f" info: the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or currept

I would really appreciate any help/guidance/pointers to fix this...

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 4 (6,029 Views)

Re: HP dv6500 - Replace Harddisk?

Did you choose factory installed option in HP system recovery?

Some folks reported the original system recovery needs HP own HD that have special tattoo, some claims the size of HD should be the same as the original one to get it works. But one reported buying Vista system recovery from HP solve the tattoo issue, sorry I forgot the thread, you may search.

If some how HP fail to provide you the recovery disks, you may try Microsoft site

Below websites End Users may acquire replacement media in the event that Microsoft software CD(s) originally purchased through a System Builder is defective, damaged on receipt or during installation, or misplaced. Additionally, an End User should only place orders through this website when they are not able to obtain replacement through the System Builder from whom they originally purchased the software.

United States and Canada:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=B19F4CE9-DFCB-44E4-9ABE-1C9DFBAD47D0&NewTrans=1loc...

Europe, Middle East, Africa:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=30B288C0-52A6-4AA4-A2BC-2B60DDA37DB1&NewTrans=1&lo...

Asia-Pacific: 

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=3D264FB4-A497-4C00-8180-2BB3C548B55B&NewTrans=1&lo...

Latin America or South America:

https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/start.om?StoreID=733F8F42-707E-4045-9243-A5E655A6041B&NewTrans=1&lo...

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Tutor
Kewlguru
Message 3 of 4 (6,004 Views)

I've already ordered and received a new system recovery disk from HP. After running thru the factory recovery process again it ejected the DVD and installed all the base softwares. Now it seems software installations are completed but still the systems keeps restarting after every ~1 min regular interval... its still going on. Not sure if I should just hang-on somemore time (its already been atleast 5 hrs now) or just shutdown and restart again?

Any idea if the complete recovery process really takes sooooo long?

Any other thoughts? suggestions? pointers?

Tutor
Kewlguru
Message 4 of 4 (5,904 Views)

Guys - FYI

The issue is resolved.

It was a prob with the HP std recovery disk as it comes with the default display driver. But my laptop had NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS and the drivers where missing in the original disk. I had ordered the relevant drivers disk from HP. After which the install was smooth though it took almost 7 hrs for complete recovery.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation