How can I disable Credential Manager? (64229 Views)
Top Student
Birtlesmag
Message 1 of 13 (64,229 Views)
Accepted Solution

How can I disable Credential Manager?

Every time I want to log onto something Credential Manager SSO pops up offering to remember my logon details. And when I registered on this site, it offered to change my password when I'd only just created it! Sometimes when I'm adding comments to blogs, I press the return key and up it pops, offering to remember credentials I haven't just typed in.

Call me contrary but I don't want it to do this. I don't want to have a list of user names and passwords sitting somewhere on my computer, I'd prefer to store them somewhere else, and if I can't remember them, I'll go find them myself.

I don't want to remove Credential Manager, I just want it to leave me alone!

Please help!!

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 2 of 13 (64,229 Views)

Re: How can I disable Credential Manager?

is credential manager in msconfig if it is disable it via msconfig startup , what software is credential software included in?
Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 3 of 13 (61,267 Views)

Procedure 1:

Start -> control panel -> HP ProtectTools Security Manager -> Credential Manager

inside there is a check box that says use credential manager to logon .... or something similar to that. uncheck it. hit ok. restart the machine.

Procedure 2:

Start -> control panel -> Programs and Features -> Uninstall Credential Manager

Procedure 3:

Download the Credential manager from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp37001-37500/sp37096.exe

When installing, it will give you an option to repair/remove. Choose remove and uninstall this program.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Top Student
Birtlesmag
Message 4 of 13 (61,218 Views)

Thank you Vidya,

I don't seem to be able to disable Credential Manager for a single user, which is what I'd prefer, and the only option to disable Credential Manager seems to be for logging on to WIndows, where I'm happy to have my machine password protected.

So I've checked the boxes that talk about recording logon details on web pages and hope this will do the trick.

I would never have found this myself.

Now to see if it works!

Top Student
Birtlesmag
Message 5 of 13 (61,051 Views)

Hi there,

I have tried your first solution, but unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem and Credential Manager still follows me around.  I chose an option that seemed to suggest I wouldn't be asked for logon details on websites but I still am...Seems that I can't disable Credential Manager for a single user, and I didn't want to either stop using passwords to log on, or uninstall.

Thanks anyway, and if you have any other ideas I'd be willing to try them.

Maggi

Honor Student
pianotoad
Message 6 of 13 (49,321 Views)

Hello all and sorry to revive this old post.

I'm getting really annoyed by the HP SSO manager and want to disable it. However, when I open HP ProtectTools and go to Credential Manager --> Settings, there is no Single Sign On tab.

How can I disable this feature please? I searched the web and didn't find any solution to this, when the tab is not there.

Thanks,

pianotoad

Top Student
CyrusTheVirus
Message 7 of 13 (44,947 Views)

Honor Student
pianotoad
Message 8 of 13 (44,923 Views)

Thanks for your reply. I didn't expect any reply after such a long time. :-)

As I posted, there was no such tab called "Single Sign On" - that was my problem! My question was how to disable it, when this tab is not present. And I can't tell why it was not present.

Strangely, now that I tried it again after several months, the tab was present and I could just disable it as described in your posted link.

I don't get it but I don't care, as it is solved now. Thanks!

Student
molijjj
Message 9 of 13 (43,319 Views)

OO I very often has problems with this Credential Manager. So my pc developer disable it. Sory I don't know how =)

Top Student
Birtlesmag
Message 10 of 13 (42,962 Views)

Thank you for this - it worked!

I had given up on finding a solution and stopped even monitoring this query but I'm glad I came back and had a look at your post.

I had started having a problem where every time I typed on the internet all my words ran together; my spaces weren't being inserted or were in the wrong places. And every time I pressed the return key there would be a delay then Credential Manager would pop onscreen, offering to record something for me.

Today I disabled Credential Manager as explained in the PDF, and not only do I not have the irritating single sign on, I can also type properly again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation