How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings (1657471 Views)
Intern
bigfootJo
Message 1 of 291 (1,657,471 Views)

How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings

I have a Pavillion HP laptop with vista.

I do not have any discs and HP has said they no longer provide restore discs. I tried restoring to a point but it's not enough. There is something wrong and I want a fresh system start to solve the problem. I'm not worried about any of my files. I will keep searching but if someone know what to do please let me know.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 291 (1,657,467 Views)

Re: How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings

[ Edited ]

HP Recovery Manager can be accessd from the Start Menu, or by tapping F11 key as soon as you power on the laptop. Recovery Manager is used to reinstall back to factory specs_also used to make a Recovery Disk set.

Vista Recovery

Windows 7 Recovery

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
gnksmiles
Message 3 of 291 (1,644,522 Views)

I have tried pressing the F11 key, but didn't do anything.  It just rebooted the system like normal and took me back to my desktop.  I tried going through the "Start" menu to "Control Panel" "All Control Panel Items" Recovery" and it didn't work for me either because a window would pop up and say "Application cannot be executed.  The file rstrui.exe is infected.  Do you want to activate your antivirus.software now?" 

I understand that it got infeted, but I can't trust the "antivirus.software" that it is asking me to purchase.  How do I know that I can trust that software?  or how can I restore it back to factory setting other ways than going through the "Start" menu?

Please help

Tutor
Alleria
Message 4 of 291 (1,644,457 Views)

The only reason might be is the original OS was replaced. Meaning, you probably upgraded your OS before (like from XP to Vista, or Vista to Windows7). What you can do is just to order RCD from HP. I think it will be for $28.  :smileyvery-happy:

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 291 (1,644,442 Views)

Control Panel, Recovery is not the correct item.Did you read the info on my link above at all?

• Click Start and enter Recovery in the search field. Select Recovery Manager from the list when it becomes available. Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
    Alternately, click Start , All Programs , Recovery Manager , and then Recovery Manager . Allow the action to continue, if prompted. The HP Recovery Manager opens.
  • Click Advanced options , System recovery , and then click Next . The PC will restart and reopen the recovery manager.
    Alternately, if Advanced options is disabled, click Next , and then System Recovery . The PC will restart.
  • When the PC restarts, select the System recovery option and click Next .
  • If prompted to use the Microsoft System Restore program, click No , and then click Next .
  • When prompted, select the Back up your files first (recommended) option, and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • When prompted to Recover without backing up your files , please STOP before clicking Next .
    WARNING:This is the final opportunity to change your mind about recovering the PC and deleting all the files and programs. Once you click Next , the restore process cannot be stopped
  • If you are satisfied that you want to begin the recover process, click Next . The PC immediately begins formatting the hard drive and destroying all data.

• ******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
    **Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
    Honor Student
    skipmurdog
    Message 6 of 291 (1,644,311 Views)

Pressing F11 does nothing. The Presario RP on drive D is almost 10 gb, but the recovery folder is empty (23 mb). Entering "recovery" in the search box comes up empty, and nothing is found the long way either.

Provost
    CherylG
    Message 7 of 291 (1,644,200 Views)

Could you post the full model number and P/N from the Service Tag attached to bottom of your laptop? Locating Model Number

Honor Student
    skipmurdog
    Message 8 of 291 (1,644,064 Views)

It's a F789cw. I finally just searched every danged file that contained "restore" in it and found the exe file.  Still don't know why the restore manager / f11 disappeared, don't care. Gave it away...

Honor Student
    MJLCOOKE
    Message 9 of 291 (1,638,287 Views)

Hi, i've had a quick scout around and have i still can't resolve this issue:

I have a HP Pavillion TX 2000 (TX2130ea P/N-KM125EA, S/N-CNF8203LRH)

I have upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 - I now know that this was not the best thing i've every done! As you know quite a few drivers do not work. Specifically the the system regularly crashes after 'Sleeping',  Video's crash and fingure print recognition etc.

I would like to go back to the old Vista - guess what, I didn't produce any discs when i bought the machine (again something i have now learnt!). There is no Recovery Manager listed in seaches on the machine or in the Programmes folders. The D partition is still visable and states Recovery with 10gb used, but no visable files. F11 does not work.

Can someone help or am i to dig deep and buy some discs from HP

Ta

Provost
    CherylG
    Message 10 of 291 (1,630,249 Views)

@MJLCOOKE

Try>>

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
    2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
    3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
    4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
    5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation