Student
dirtymacc79
Message 41 of 291 (130,745 Views)

Re: How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings

thank you this really help

Student
a1rsupreme
Message 42 of 291 (130,711 Views)

Hello. My mate has got a HP pavilion DV6 laptop. And we'r...

[ Edited ]

Hello. My mate has got a HP pavilion DV6 laptop. And we're trying to reset it to factory settings. We can launch the recovery manager and the computer reboots. But that's as far as we can get. when it's supposed to start the install it claims you need to insert a CD which he haven't got. He also has 3 partitions. Local Disc C, Recovery and a disc called HP_TOOLS. In a previous post a user stated that the recovery manager wont detect the recovery partition if there's more than 2 partitions. Is it required to delete the HP_TOOLS partition to make it work? Or is his only choice to buy a recovery CD from HP? Hopefully someone will be able to help us out.

EDIT:

Turns out he has 4 partitions? http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/871/utennavngh.png <-- Link to a picture showing his disc manager. No idea what to do. Help would be appreciated :smileyhappy:

Provost
CherylG
Message 43 of 291 (130,697 Views)

Re: Hello. My mate has got a HP pavilion DV6 laptop. And we'r...

@a1rsupreme

The reference to more than 2 partitions causing a problem was probably on a Vista machine that shipped with 2 and a 3rd was created by owner. The 4 partitions on your Windows 7 laptop is normal and should not impact Recovery.

Have you tried burning an OS Recovery DVD set to boot from? HERE

Enter BIOS and use Diagnostics to test the hdd.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Emopakk
Message 44 of 291 (130,560 Views)

Hi there.

I just tryed this method:

1.Right-click on "Computer" icon and select manage.
2.This will launch the Microsoft Management Console.
3.On the left side of the MMC, click on "Disk Management" and it will show you all of the partitions.
4.Right-click on the "HP Recovery" partition and select "Mark as Active Partition."
5.When the warning prompt appears, select "Yes" - Reboot and it will automatically boot into the Recovery Manager (without pressing F11).

And it failed:smileysad: I also got this problem now that I cant turn my computer back on?! All i get is this message:

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

How do I fix this?

Provost
CherylG
Message 45 of 291 (130,548 Views)

@Emopakk

Try booting with a utilty cd to change Active partition back to your Windows partition.. I have had good  results with the free Partition Wizard .Download the Bootable CD iso here .Get ImgBurn here to burn the image to cd.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
MahaEzzat
Message 46 of 291 (130,473 Views)

My Laptop is Pavilion dv6 with 7,,and i already have recovery discs

i changed my original  windows 7 os.now i need to restore to original

and i don't have recovery partion

i trid to make recovery with discs twice but it fail every time...i don't know why!!

I need help Plzzz :smileyhappy:

Student
ProgressiveTone
Message 47 of 291 (130,296 Views)

Lost Original software To virus {HP Pavillion dv6000} How & what can I do, where can I turn to for help? To restore to orig factory settings?

Provost
CherylG
Message 48 of 291 (130,280 Views)

@ProgressiveTone

Have you tried tapping away at F11 key immediately after powering on to see if it will boot into Recovery to reinstall?

Please post full model number(section1) or P/N(section 2) as shown on the Service Tag attached to bottom of laptop.

HP Service Tag

Student
GUATCHOON88
Message 49 of 291 (130,133 Views)

may i know after i restore the factory default.. how should i login to the laptop where it require user id & password. please advise as i have wins vista business and laptop model hp620

Honor Student
picopapi
Message 50 of 291 (129,767 Views)

I have the HP Pavillion dm3 and has no optical drive. 

I understand I can do a one time copy of the recovery disc onto a USB flash drive and not on an external drive but

If I order the recovery disc, can I save the recovery disc with my other laptop which has an optical drive and save it on a USB flash drive and then if needed just use the USB port on the dm3 to restore to original settings if need be. 

Basically, I would like to know if the can save the purchased recovery disc onto a USB flash drive and have it worked on my DM3 which only has USB ports and no optical drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation