Question

Student
Kin2
Message 1 of 2 (267 Views)
Accepted Solution

How to acquire Windows 8 installation media

I attempted to dual boot opensuse with windows 8 on my laptop which somehow led to a boot problem. To fix the problem I had to do a clean install of windows which wiped out all the data and hard drive partitions.

The only problem now is that I have an unactivated version of windows 8 which I cannot activate.

Since I bought the notebook with windows preinstalled that means I also paid for the windows serial key (licence) and I don't see why I should have to part with 200 dollars to get a licence I already own.

I know the warranty doesn't cover software but I also know the manufacturer can provide the windows installation media for free or for a modest fee (since I already own it) upon request, so my question is: How do I make a request for the installation media, at what cost if any and how do I collect it?

HP ProBook 4540s C9K69UT#ABA
Windows 8 preinstalled
Country - Kenya
Warranty active till May 2014

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 2 (247 Views)

Re: How to acquire Windows 8 installation media

Hi:

You will need to contact HP support in Africa at the link below.

Call the number listed for business notebooks which I assume for Kenya would be 234 1 27 11 999 or +27 21 427 3240.

http://www8.hp.com/emea_africa/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html

Inform the customer services rep that you need a set of recovery disks for your business notebook and you will need to provide the model # and serial #.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation