Question

Top Student
Uddername2
Message 1 of 10 (1,483 Views)

My 6 month old laptop is so slow and keeps on crashing!

[ Edited ]

Hello

I bought a HP G70 120EM laptop in January and for a few months now it's been playing up. Basically, it crashes ever so easily. I'll start the laptop up, transfer some files from the desktop to a usb stick and it will crash. The timer will start 'loading' and it will say it's not responding. Then i'll have to restart windows explorer. This happens far too often, especially when i'm using the internet as well, and for a brand new £500 laptop it's simply not acceptable. 

I've done scans on the computer, using RegCure, Norton, Search and Destroy and HP's own health advisor and nothing comes up. I've got 12gb free on my laptop, so it's not 'lack of space'. 

Even whilst i type this, the computer can't keep up with my writing speed and it stutters trying to keep up. I'm not even a fast typer. 

EDIT* I'm trying to delete a file on my computer and whenever i try, windows explorer crashes again. btw it's Vista premium

Message Edited by Uddername2 on 07-23-2009 06:07 AM
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 10 (1,481 Views)

Re: My 6 month old laptop is so slow and keeps on crashing!

I dont know if it is available in G70 model, but in my notebook there is an option to check Harddisk and Memory in BIOS, have you check it?

There is a possibility for hardware issue for your case.

Other possibility is software conflicts, the fastest way to determine either it is a hardware or software issue is to restore it to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager, here

This procedure will wipe out all of your data and restore your notebook to factory install condition, might not the best option if you have a critical data or software.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Top Student
Uddername2
Message 3 of 10 (1,465 Views)

That doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world, i have been thinking about restoring it to factor settings actually. What did you mean about the bios check? Sorry i'm a tad slow when it comes to computers (not as slow as my laptop though!) How would i do this?

Also is restoring everything to the factory settings easy enough? Obviously i'd drag everything i wanna keep onto an external hard drive then re-drag it when everything's set up, am i correct?

Cheers for your help mate!
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 4 of 10 (1,458 Views)

As mentioned in the post, it is the fastest way. Not the best way but the fastest.

Look at the bright side, if the factory install also shows the same issue, 100% you have hardware problems.

I don't know what you have installed in your notebooks the only info are slow and keep crushing messages, this can be anything in term of software issues.

Sorry to say, to troubleshoot software issue would lead to a very loooong thread. Not to mention about bugs in Vista and the fixes that MS offers that frequently reported not to fix it but to make it worse.

Go to BIOS by tapping F10 while Compaq logo is displayed, go search for harddisk and memory tests.

Good luck 

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Top Student
Uddername2
Message 5 of 10 (1,444 Views)

I did the tests you said and they both 'passed', does this mean it's not a hard disk problem, more of a software problem? In which case restoring it to factory settings would be the best option, rather than trying to pinpoint the problem on each program i've got?

Thanks btw

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 6 of 10 (1,420 Views)

If both test pass, try to restoring to factory install setting. It might be a software issue.
______

Top Student
Uddername2
Message 7 of 10 (1,400 Views)

Okay, thanks a lot! If i do reset it to factory settings...will i need to install the HP drivers, as i have a laptop which didnt come with any driver disks, instead it told me to order some back ups in case anything went wrong....i have not done that :smileytongue: So will i need to do that before i reset it to factory settings, or will the laptop just be like it was when i opened the box (with the drivers already installed)

Thankyou!

Top Student
Uddername2
Message 8 of 10 (1,382 Views)

I've just taken about 60gb off my laptop, and it's seemingly running smoothly again...was that all what was the problem with it? It needed more space? It confuses me a little, as i was still giving it 10gb free (it's a 160gb laptop). But for the moment it seems to be running okay, and i'm holding back from restoring it to factory settings...am i doing the right thing or is my laptop trying to trick me?
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 9 of 10 (1,333 Views)

Good post uddername2, you have solve your own problem!
______

Student
Veebee
Message 10 of 10 (939 Views)

Hi.. Same story here. I also bought 120EM in Jan and it crashes every now and then. With HP's advice, I even reinstalled BIOS and NVDIA but the problem persists.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation