NTLDR is missing (3127 Views)
Top Student
djwatkins1
Message 1 of 7 (3,127 Views)
Accepted Solution

NTLDR is missing

I have a 2006 Pavilion dv5000, with a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 OS.

When I start my computer I get the following message:

"NTLDR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

Following this directions does nothing.

I cannot enter BIOS before this message occurs.

Starting with my original OS dvd does not help either. First I get a message to hit any key to start with the dvd. Then after doing so I am back to the above quoted message.

So far web searching and using help forums have not been helpful, as they assume one of the previous steps would get me started.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (3,104 Views)

Re: NTLDR is missing

The page here offers some pretty comprehensive tips. if you haven't tried them:

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
phanse1979
Message 3 of 7 (3,101 Views)

NTLDR is missing Plz follow this step problem will solve

“NTLDR is missing” problem solved in Windows XP.

March 22, 2009 — Pradnya

You switch on your pc,select the OS and find what
NTLDR missing!!! Cant get in?
Here’s the solution..

What is NTLDR?
NTLDR is the boot loader for Windows NT operating systems including
Windows XP.It runs from primary hard drive to load the OS selected from
the startup menu with the help of boot sector in a file.

Components important to load OS:
NTLDR: contains boot loader
boot.ini : system file which stores list of Operating Systems
to be shown at start up .
ntdetect.com: detects basic hardware required to start the operating system.
ntoskrnl.exe/ntkrnlpa.exe : stores kernal image of Windows NT systems &
responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualisation process and memory management, etc.

Here’s how u can get back into your Windows XP.
1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the “R” key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the “1″ key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password(Usually it is
password,if not set)
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk.
The CD-ROM drive letter may be different on your computer.
Here it is “e.”

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Working of NTLDR.
When booting NTLDR follows these steps in order:

1. Accesses the file system on the boot drive (either FAT or NT File System, NTFS).
2. If hiberfil.sys is found, and it finds a hibernation image, its contents are loaded into memory and the system resumes where it left off.
3. Otherwise, reads boot.ini and prompts the user with the boot menu accordingly.
4. If a non NT-based OS is selected, then NTLDR loads the associated file listed in boot.ini and gives it control.
5. If an NT-based OS is selected, then NTLDR runs ntdetect.com, which detects the computer’s hardware to load the OS.
6. Starts Ntoskrnl.exe, passing to it the information returned by ntdetect.com.

Student
hosler_mark
Message 4 of 7 (3,089 Views)

[ Edited ]

NTLDR is the file which accesses the file system on the boot drive. Once the file is missing the Operating System is unable to load resulting one of following message

NTLDR is Missing
Press any key to restart

Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR
Please insert another disk

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart

There are several reasons this could be happened.

• Booting from non-bootable source. (New hard disk, CD or any other removeble media)
  • Corrupted Master/ Boot record or Corrupted NTLDR or ntdetect.com file.
  • BIOS configuration Problem

source : http://techyv.com/questions/ntldr-missing

Top Student
djwatkins1
Message 5 of 7 (3,075 Views)

I thank everyone for their information and advice.

The problem I am having is that I cannot enter the BIOS before I receive the error message; nor will the computer respond to any inputs after the message:

Press Ctrl Alt Del to Restart

NTLDR is missing

The only difference if I start the computer with the OS DVD installed is I get a "Press any key to boot from CD..." message before the one above - then it is totally unresponsive, just as when I start it without the DVD installed.

Top Student
djwatkins1
Message 6 of 7 (3,061 Views)

Just to close out this message thread, and perhaps to help some one with similar problems, I will note that my issue has been resolved.

As I suppose is often the case, the problem was complicated by two separate components malfunctioning. (Not counting the operator - i.e. me.)

The reason I could not access my BIOS or activate my OS installation disk was because of a malfunctioning keyboard (partially resolved now).

The non-booting and "NTLDR is missing" parts were a bit more involved, and I forget now all of the steps I had to do to fix them, but I believe the original cause was a malfunctioning memory module (although my misguided efforts to repair, and then reinstall, the OS before I removed the offending module may have aggravated the problem).

I am now struggling to reinstall the OS and drivers, but I opened another thread for those issues.

Honor Student
Sonsed
Message 7 of 7 (715 Views)

I get NTLDR is missing, Press Ctrl +Alt + Del to restart. I had done this and goes back to same screen, I have checked the BIOS and reloded the defaults, and it still bring me to this same error.  I finally chose Windows Boot Genius from http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Boot-Genius/3000-2094_4-75827488.html  to get me out of problem and login pc again!   

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation