Question

Student
Vlad_22
Message 1 of 3 (180 Views)

Preloaded apps

Just got an HP laptop with Windows 8. It came with a lot of preloaded apps which is fine, but I noticed that a lot of them are set up with permissions through the fire wall. Why is this necessary. It seem like a serious security breach, especially incoming connections. I believe my wireless router stops most of these, but I want to close as many as possible. How can I find out which ones can be closed and the effects. Also a lot of apps seen to be running as services which in most cases isn't necessary.
Intern
JohnB95
Message 2 of 3 (139 Views)

Re: Preloaded apps

That is just the way windows works. You will have to live with it.
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 3 of 3 (131 Views)

Re: Preloaded apps

Hello Vlad_22.

If you want to remove applications (or firewall permissions) I suggest you do it one at a time.  This will help you ensure that anything you do can be immediately changed if it affects the computer in a way you do not like.

Similarly, with the services, each person's idea of what is "required" will be different (for example, I don't use bluetooth but you might).  So, if you want to disable services your only option is to look them up online (such as through Google) and try disabling them one at a time and verifying that you're okay with the changes.

Have a great day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation